Buddhism and the Self

Mon Sep 29 00:10:55 CDT 1997

On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, Greg Goode wrote:

> At 01:10 AM 9/26/97 -0400, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
>
> As a "foreign and assimilated member of this list" I am listening carefully
> for context, you can be sure.  Though most of the context you speak of has
> nothing to do with e-mail.

I certainly don't think its impossible for foreigners to understand
Vedanta but it does require more effort.  And I don't see that many making
the effort.

> You mention other "non-dual," non-Advaita Vedanta philosophies.  Could you
> list some various forms, schools?  Is Kashmir Shaivism one of them?

Yes that would be a good example.  A number of the medieval "sant"
movements such as the followers of Kabir or even Sikhism could be
considered non-dual though they don't call themselves Advaita.  The
Vaishnava teacher Vallabha and his son Vitthal called their philosophy
shuddhadvaita (or "pure" advaita) because they believed they had purified
Advaita Vedanta of the "fallacy" of the Maya doctrine.  But even there it
is clear that they and there audience knew Advaita refers to
Shankaracharyas school.

> I thought most non-Advaita Vedanta was also NOT non-dual.
>
> --Greg

I should clarify.  I didn't mean (non-Advaita) Vedanta i.e schools of
Vedanta other than Shankaracharyas.  I meant non-(Advaita Vedanta) i.e all
schools except Shankaracharyas including non-Vedanta schools.  Sorry for
the confusion.

I got engaged! See the pictures ==> http://www.braincells.com/jaldhar/sagpan