Buddhism and the Self

Greg Goode goode at DPW.COM
Fri Sep 26 08:58:22 CDT 1997

At 01:10 AM 9/26/97 -0400, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
>This is the problem that foreign and assimilated members of the list face.
>You know the words but you don't always understand the context.  While you
>are indeed correct that Adwaita means non-dual, it is usually used to mean
>Advaita Vedanta.  There are other "non-dual" philosophies of Indian origin
>but they are not usually labelled Advaita.  Only Vedanta.  This Advaita
>Vedanta, has a history, tradition and dogma of which it is quite possible
>to make meaningful comparisons.

As a "foreign and assimilated member of this list" I am listening carefully
for context, you can be sure.  Though most of the context you speak of has
nothing to do with e-mail.

You mention other "non-dual," non-Advaita Vedanta philosophies.  Could you
list some various forms, schools?  Is Kashmir Shaivism one of them?

I thought most non-Advaita Vedanta was also NOT non-dual.

--Greg