Advaitic quotes

Vaidya N. Sundaram sundaram at ECN.PURDUE.EDU
Mon Sep 22 16:06:47 CDT 1997

Shri Gurubhyo' Namah:

 I came across this quite interesting verse when I was reading on my
current research topic. And I figured it would be interesting to post it
too.!!
(It is basically about science, and specifically, it is about the
importance of trying to solve the N-body problem, with several bodies
interacting with each other and we are trying to solve Newton's equation
of motion.)

 Given for one instant an intelligence which could comprehend all the
forces by which nature is animated and the respective situation of the
beings who compose it - an intelligence sufficiently vast to submit these
data to anlysis - it would embrace in the same formula the movements of
the greatest bodies of the universe and those of the lightest atom; for
it nothing would be uncertain and the future, as the past, would be
present to it's eyes.
                - de Laplace P.S., A Philosophical Essay on Probabilities
                        Dover, New York, 1951.

Vaidya.