Advaitic quotes

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Wed Sep 17 09:51:33 CDT 1997

On Sat, 13 Sep 1997 un824 at FREENET.VICTORIA.BC.CA wrote:

> Namaste.
>
> I would be happy to read some of your favourite quotes Re: Advaita, or even
> things that catch your eye as you come across them in your study. For

I love quotations of advaita also and sometimes use them (for some time)
as part of the signature file.

Some of them are

Moksha is not freedom for the individual. It is freedom from
individuality.
        T.M.P. Mahadevan in "Time and the timeless"

What did not exist at the beginning and what is not going to exist at the
end is as good as non-existent even in the present.
        Translation of a verse by GauDapAda in Mandukya KArika
        Translation by H.K. Iyer in "Advaita"

For (all) incoming knowledge, discipline is the most fundamental.
        Sage Vyasa in Mahabharata (This reads much better in Sanskrit)

> -Allan Curry

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
Yadaa sarve pramucyante kaamaa ye'sya hr^di shritaah
atha martyo'mr^to bhavatyatra brahma samashnute   Katha Upanishhad II.3.14

When all the desires that dwell in the heart fall away, then the mortal
becomes immortal, and attains Brahman even here.