Ramana's technique

Greg Goode goode at DPW.COM
Thu Oct 23 15:27:24 CDT 1997

At 11:19 AM 10/23/97 -0800, Allan Curry wrote:

[...Arvind Sharma's text regretfully deleted...]

>    I think this is about the best thing I've ever read on
>    Advaita-L. Thank you very much for posting it.

I agree!

>    consuming flame which is so close behind it. It is
>    actually so enjoyable I find it's becoming less of a
>    problem to have the "sense of individuality" returning
>    because isn't it like a child running back to the top of a
>    water slide just to throw themselves over the edge again
>    and again. Do you think this pseudo-bhakti approach is a
>    good idea?  :-)

This is an important point.  The repeated return of the ego
or sense of individuality is not cause to whip or berate
one's self.  It, like many other things, is something that
happens spontaneously in phenomenality.  To react to the
arising of the ego by saying "my sadhana is not working"
or some other judgment just encourages the ego and makes
it that much more stubborn.

--Greg