The non-reality of nothingness

Greg Goode goode at DPW.COM
Wed Nov 19 09:58:29 CST 1997

At 11:41 AM 11/18/97 -0800, Jonathan Bricklin wrote:

>>Consciousness is intermitent,  full of gaps.
>
>Arguable.  I would say it is only consciousness of self that is
>intermittent.

When you say arguable, you are saying that consciousness might be
continuous, and consciousness of the self intermittent, correct?  If so,
then what is it you mean by consciousness?  The waking consciousness?  The
dreaming consciousness?  Or are you referring to what is common between
them?  By consciousness, Nisargadatta is referring to prajna, taijasa, and
visva.  For Maharaj, consciousness is tied to the pranamayakosa, and when
life ceases, there is no consciousness because there is no prajna, taijasa,
or visva.  But he would say that what You Are is beyond or prior to
consciousness.  Call it awareness, or Parabrahman.  It is there before,
during, and after creation.  Before, during, and after the existence or
dissolution of universes.  It is not intermittent.

He'd say that the Self/Awareness/Parabrahman is that which makes
consciousness possible, so it can't be something that anything can be
conscious of....

--Greg