New member: Introduction

Ravisankar S. Mayavaram aum at UNIX.TAMU.EDU
Mon May 26 09:25:35 CDT 1997

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 14:07:24 PDT
From: soraya beheshti <afsanehnajmabadi at hotmail.com>
To: aum at unix.tamu.edu
Subject: Self Introduction to the Advaita List

Namaste!
       My name is Soraya Beheshti. I am an Iranian Moslem woman
who is interested in Hindu scriptures. I was brought up in the
Shia subsect of Islam whose practices made theoritical sense to me
but are on a practical basis, a little too severe to follow( Atleast
from my perspective). So, I therefore searched for an alternative,and
I came up on Sufism. Sufism is practised in various parts of the Moslem world
and always borrows from local culture and influence.
 The variety practised in Pakistan borrows from Hinduism, es
pecially the Bhakti Marga. This triggered off my interest in
Hinduism.
        The difficulty that I've encountered in trying to
learn about Hinduism is quite the opposite of Shi'i Islam
( While there, there is just ONE opinion i.e. derived from
the Quran or the Hadith), the feature with Hinduism seems
to be that on any given point, many schools of thought seem to
exist( i.e. Dvaita vs Advaita vs Suddhadvaita......). After
having tried to unravel the mysteries myself( and having
failed:-)), I decided to seek help and found out about
Advaita -L. This seemed to be a good point to start since
many of the commentaries on the scriptures seem to follow
Advaitic interpretation and I therefore figured that a good
many mysteries would be solved here.
      I am really looking forward to being enveloped in the
misty mystique of Advaita.

  Regards,
  Soraya

P.S.( In Persian literature, "mist" is regarded to be something beautiful and
has been the object of much versification.I thought I should clarify what I
meant by misty mystique since I am not sure
of its context, meaning in Sanskrit literature.)