Time Bound

Msr msr at REDDY20.TAMU.EDU
Wed Jun 25 15:25:15 CDT 1997

On Wed, 25 Jun 1997, Gummuluru Murthy wrote:

> I am of the considered view that our responsibilities as a family person
> in no way impede our leading a life of spirituality and righteousness.
> One can lead a life of mental renunciation right in the middle of a city
> with all the so-called family responsibilities.
>
> Regards
> Gummuluru Murthy

namaskaaram

What you say may be possible, but it is highly improbable. It is very
difficult for a spiritual aspirant is beginning stages to abide in
Self and do the duties of a householder amidst a crowded city.  Many
great saints remark this again and again. Forget even abiding in self,
even to do the duties of  a householder itself is extremely difficult.

Unfortunately many of us do not even get the rigorous training in
meditation and other related spiritual activities when we are young
during the stage of brahmachaarya. Such a training may make it
possible, as these things might have become a habit due to regular
practice.  At least I can tell you from my own experience, it is very
difficult. Forget even the family, even when I was single, the
accumulated bad habits and perversions of mind over period of time
when I was young through friends, movies and surroundings was tough to
battle.

One definitely needs solitude and isolation, to get over these
vaasanas. In fact many saints advice brahmachaari-aspirants not mix
to householders, not to attend crowded festivals like marriages, etc.
Till the mind gets firmly established in self, it is risky , even
dangerous.

A budding plant needs lot of nurturing and protection, once it becomes
a tree it may not be needed. When the sadhana is at the level of a
candle flame, even a mild breeze of disturbance can blow it out. But
once it becomes a forest fire, even a strong wind, instead of
extinguishing it, will aid it to burn even more.  It is difficult to
stay in a room filled charcoal dust without getting some of it on you,
unless you are fire!

(But I do not deny the possibility though!  Great yogis like shrii
lahari mahasaya were established in Self, despite living as a
householder with many other responsibilities.)

In divine friendship,
Ravi
meenakshi at tamu.edu                        http://www.isc.tamu.edu/~msr
AUM shrii paramahansa yogaanandaaya namaH

                   sharanaagata rakshakii niveyena
                   sadaa ninnu nammiti miinaakshii!

                                    AUM shrii miinaakshii devyai namaH