Time Bound

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Wed Jun 25 14:09:21 CDT 1997

On Wed, 25 Jun 1997, Chelluri Nageswar Rao wrote:

>                                             srim
>
> Namste!
>
> I think in spiritual pursuit any activity that is time bound is futile.
>
> Assuming human span of life 100 years (not too many people live that long
> anyway) each day we spend almost 10 hours commuting and working to live
> comfortably, 6 to 8 hours rest (sleep) and remaining hours entertaining to
> relax.  Out of this 24 hours we set aside hardly an hour for spirituality.
>  Something is better than nothing atleast we spend an hour remembering our
> ishta devata.  Some people say they meditate an hour a day.  How do they know
> the hour is complete unless they put an alaram clock next to them to remind.
>  Under those conditions how can anybody concentrate?
> As long as there are responsibilites, self imposed or imposed by others in
> the name of society it is not possible to renounce and be detached.
>
> If one desires self realization (I konw it is not the correct phrase) one
> must renounce time bound activities.    Any of you would like to share your
> thoughts.   Sada, Iam anxious to know your views also.
>
> Shubham                                                              Nageswar

I am afraid that Shri Nageswar Rao's logic in the above statement is
not quite right, in my view.

"Spiritual pursuit" is not while sitting at the meditation seat only.
It is a process where we lead a life of dharma all 24 hours a day.
While doing work, or while commuting, or while "relaxing", spiritual
life need not be abandoned. Doing an honest day's work (without having
particular affection to the result, but performing work; kurvanneveha
karmaani Isha upanishhad, verse 2) and thinking about paramatma while
commuting (meditate on Shri Lalitha trisathi, or Vishnu sahasranaama)
are part of the spiritual life. Find relaxation studying and contem-
plating on upanishhadic statements. If we set only an hour aside for
"spiritual pursuit" and doing other things for 23 hours, we are not
following a spiritual life.

I also feel "spiritual pursuit" is a wrong representation. Pursuit is
chasing an elusive object. If our mind accepts a life of dharma, and if
our buddhi is pure, there is nothing to pursue. Spiritual life is within
us. We become the most relaxed spiritual persons and we will have all the
time at our disposal. There is nothing time-bound.

I am of the considered view that our responsibilities as a family person
in no way impede our leading a life of spirituality and righteousness.
One can lead a life of mental renunciation right in the middle of a city
with all the so-called family responsibilities.

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
Yadaa sarve pramucyante kaamaa ye'sya hr^di shritaah
atha martyo'mr^to bhavatyatra brahma samashnute   Katha Upanishhad II.3.14

When all the desires that dwell in the heart fall away, then the mortal
becomes immortal, and attains Brahman even here.