Fwd: EXPERIENCES-3

David G. Goggin goggin at HIWAAY.NET
Sat Sep 14 08:17:38 CDT 1996

Chelluri Nageswar Rao said:

>      After having darshan we both came out and walking back to the
>      taxi thru a narrow lane.  It is hardly 9 feet wide with shops on
>      both sides.  As we are walking, a beautiful little girl stopped
>      me on the way.  Following is the conversation that took place in
>      hindi between me and the little girl.
>[...]
>      I realized that I missed a great
>      opportunity to seek the truth and knowledge from the Universal
>      Mother, my Ishta Devata Sri Manjula.

  I had a similar experience outside a small temple in Maharashtra, a
few hours from Bombay.  I pondered it for a long time.

  There have been a few times I felt I had "missed an opportunity"
because I didn't recognize the divine interaction as it took place.
But I know it's not really the special encounters or the exciting
experiences that matter most.  It's the consistent devotion and
surrender in my heart that, as She watches, brings out her love
and affection.

  BTW, I had never heard of the Devi Mahatmyam before, but recently
bought a translation of it -- found it hauntingly beautiful. Now I
understand what attracted me to it, it's the love of her devotees.
Thanks for sharing your experiences -- for many reasons, but one of
them being so I could understand my attraction to this hymn.

  It's great to get to see one's close relationship with the Divine,
then the challenge is to live up to that relationship.  Best wishes!

--
David Goggin
--goggin at hiwaay.net