Ref. Poonjaji interview

Giri gmadras at ENGR.UCDAVIS.EDU
Thu Oct 24 15:19:57 CDT 1996

On Wed, 23 Oct 1996, Dennis Waite wrote:

> All the activities that the body performs are predetermined. The only
> freedom you have is to choose not to identify with the body that is
> performing the actions.

        Similar statements can be found in an other site, which i just
found
        http://www.sentient.org/amber/robert.htm

I noticed that a few other people on this list making similar statements
(everything the body performs is predetermined). Kartik once told me this
may not be correct (from a scientific point of view) since the body is
atomic, and anything sub-atomic can not have deterministic values.

> Thanks again Giri,
> Dennis

        Namaste Dennis and thanks for appreciating the page. However, by
stating the above reference of Poonjaji, and mentioning him as a disciple
of Ramana Maharshi SEEMS to have opened a different issue of "false"
teachers - some disciples of Ramana", and i am guilty of it :-) [As
Cameron would rightly ask, did i have a choice ?]

        Even when i met poonjaji (we called him papaji), there was some
"controversy"  surrounding him, but controversies always surrounded Shri
Ramana Maharshi and Shri Ramakrishna in their days [and even now], and
even Shri Shankara (who is referred as an incarnation of a demon by some
sects in hinduism). The only way, as Papaji himself states, to "recognize"
a self-realized person is to "sense" how peaceful you are in his/her
presence. I think Ramana says the same.

        However, me trying to judge the "authencity" of a "self-realized"
teacher is like a blind man trying to judge the coloration in a painting
[borrowing an example from Ravi].  In tamil there is a saying 'Does a
donkey know the smell of camphor ?' As Aikya mentions, it is better for me
to evaluate the "ability" of the "jnani" to eliminate the [perceived]
ignorance. Of course, that does not mean others are not capable of judging
"authencity."

**

Though Ramana Maharshi may have denied any disciples, there are hosts of
people : Sadhu Arunachala, Balaram Reddy, Kunju Swami, Ganapati Muni etc
who claim Ramana to be their Guru and that includes Poonjaji. I don't
think Poonjaji has ever claimed that he was the sole lineage of Ramana
Maharshi. From the Maharshi Newsletter, the following by Balaram Reddy,
   WHEN I HAD OBSERVED Bhagavan closely for some time I discovered that
   he would never openly say that he was our guru and we were his
   disciples; in fact, he would sometimes say things that sounded
   contrary to this. But for us close devotees there was never a doubt
   that he was our guru. He loved us like a mother, protected us like a
   father, guided us like a teacher and moved with us like a friend. We
   constantly felt his guidance and grace.

**

What is self-realization ? It is the state when one views the world as
it is - not different from yourSelf.

**

Wish to thank the members of the advaita list (especially egodust and
Cameron) for providing me sources and enabling to obtain the current
residential address of Shri Ramesh Balsekar.

**

A gentle request : Please quote only relevant portions from the mail you
are replying to (i.e try to say more than the amount quoted from the
read. Just a request.

**

The manishha panchakam has been transliterated, and is currently being
translated. Due to problems in the sanskrit document site, i have not
uploaded any of the newly encoded stotra-s [yet]. If you need them, let me
know.

**

praNaam.