Dream & Waking States

M Suresh msuresh at INDIA.TI.COM
Tue Jul 9 14:39:44 CDT 1996

Giri (gmadras at ENGR.UCDAVIS.EDU) wrote:

>         Did you make this observation in the dream state or in the waking
> state ? You can only contend that the dream is unreal in the waking
> state, and not while you are dreaming (unless you are dreaming lucidly).
> This topic was discussed by Rama and Vidya during the initial stages of
> this mailing list, and Rama pointed out it is unfair to deny the validity
> of the dream in the waking state (and maybe he will explain it here again).

  I just skimmed through the logs. The amount to be read was too much to
  read in detail.

  I agree that I am doing the comparison of the dream state with the waking
  state standing back from the dream state. But on doing the comparison with
  the waking state is the waking state not found to be closer to reality?

>         Further, it may be interesting to note that the time to climb
> stairs, or time taken to count from 1-10 etc (for example) is equal to the
> time taken to do the same tasks while awake (this has been scientifically
> proven).

  The incosistency is still there. For example in a dream I might climb 2
  steps and the next moment I might be somewhere else, which would not make
  any sense in the waking state. It may be that I never doubted the
  inconsistency in the dream, but still the incosistency is there. So I was
  saying that the dream state is not exactly the same as the waking state.

> Namaste.

Namaskar,
Suresh.