[Advaita-l] shivaraatri dates this year

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 4 06:01:19 EST 2018

Shri Raghav Kumarji,

One small follow up question - why does the tithi ending time differ in the
two methods. My first level understanding about tithi determination is that
it's the time taken by the moon to move 12 degrees away from the sun. And
so 30 tithis will be there in one month. The tithi durations will differ
because the lunar orbit is not in the ecliptic plane but inclined at about
5 degrees to the ecliptic.

There are different methods of computing the moon's and sun's position
(specifically celestial longitude). The sUryasiddhAnta is an ancient method
but modern methods promise a higher degree of accuracy. This has led many
panchanga makers to opt for modern methods
or more recent methods such the dRg-gaNita method. The difference in the
moon's position, especially, depending on the method used, could run into
degrees of the arc, not just seconds or minutes. This could lead to the
difference in tithi ending times of several hours that we see
in different panchangas. This in turn could lead to the same observance,
eg. shivarAtri, being declared on different dates by different panchangas.

So some tithis will be long like about 29 hours
and some short like 19 hours or so in each lunar month. In the geocentric
astrological chart this can be visualized as the moon moving sometimes
faster (shorter tithi) and sometimes slower (longer tithi)That is also why
lunar eclipses will not occur every month. Also right now a lunar eclipse
has just occurred so the moon is on the ecliptic plane . Which means the
tithi duration will be relatively shortest now and longest 15 days later .

The variation in the moon's speed directly follows from Kepler's law for
bodies in elliptical orbits, which states that the line joining an orbiting
body (moon) with its center (at one of the foci) sweeps out equal areas in
equal intervals of time. The speed at the perigee when
the moon is closest to earth is higher than the speed at the apogee when
the moon is farthest from earth. A nice explanation is found here:
http://www.phy6.org/stargaze/Skepl2A.htm
The speed of the moon may not have anything to do with eclipses per se. If
the moon happens to be near the perigee at the time of eclipse, then the
speed would also be higher. Else not. Yes, you are right in saying a faster
(slower) moving moon means shorter (longer) tithis.

Anand