[Advaita-l] Tamas, physical darkness, is a positive object

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Jul 25 06:37:18 EDT 2017

In darkness there is no colour to be absorbed by the nerves, the darkness appears black and blackness is not a different colour and it is only absence of all colours. The eyes get darkness only because there is no work to be done by them, also if blackness of the darkness been another existent colour, the eyes would have to be doing the job of seeing it, hence the eyes would have had no rest.

praNAms Sri rAmachandra Sastry prabhuji
Hare Krishna

This is very good observation.  The argument that colour 'black' is a positive object has been floated by only bhAva rUpa avidyA vAdins since avidyA has been compared to tamas in geeta bhAshya by AchArya.  If this black colour is a positive existing thing then animals like cat,  birds like owl would have seen the existence of black colour like any other objects in this world :-) Anyway, black is abhAva of light like abhAva avidyA is nothing but absence of vidyA (jnAnAbhAva) ... hence, it is not possible for us to search the bhAva vastu like black by illuminating it by light :-) I don’t know what science says about the colour black,  black (dark) is dark only whether we open our eyes to see the dark  or close our eyes to avoid the dark :-)

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar