[Advaita-l] Tamas, physical darkness, is a positive object

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 11:53:41 EDT 2017

Namaste
On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 5:38 PM, Ramachandra Sastry via Advaita-l <

> Namaste All,
>
> I have a doubt regarding darkness being considered as objective existence
> and request scholars to help me to understand.
>
> If we say , since darkness is black hence we consider as positive object,
> does it not contradict the science behind it.

It is not the eyes but we have to understand darkness with the mind. The
mind will understand darkness like a positive object even though eyes are
not seeing anything. When some child or lady is going alone in the darkness
we will warn 'Be careful. It is dark outside'. If darkness is nothing but
Shoonya why is there fear? Shoonya cannot be cause of fear. When darkness
is removed there is no fear. The Geeta has said Naasato Vidyate Bhaavo.
>From Nothing we cannot get fear. If fear is there it must come from a
positive object.

> As we understand , it is well known that the nerves in the eyes absorb the
> colour of an object entering into them, therefore, the object appears in
> that colour.
> Since all the colours are present in the sunlight and all of them are
> absorbed by the nerves, sunlight appears colourless.
>
> In darkness there is no colour to be absorbed by the nerves, the darkness
> appears black and blackness is not a different colour and it is only
> absence of all colours. The eyes get darkness only because there is no work
> to be done by them, also if blackness of the darkness been another existent
> colour, the eyes would have to be doing the job of seeing it, hence the
> eyes would have had no rest.
>
> Therefore, how can we say darkness has a objective existence.
>
> Regards
> Ramachandra
>

> On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 7:40 AM, V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l <
>
> > On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 11:15 PM, Ravi Kiran <ravikiranm108 at gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> किं

> light'
> > >

> > > If darkness is a positive entity, how can light ( whose nature is to
> just
> > > illumine, prakAsaka) dispel the darkness object ?
> > >

> > This is the question raised by those who are not comfortable with
> > 'bhAvarupa ajnana': If ajnana is a positive entity how can jnana dispel
> it?
> >

> > > In that case, where will darkness go, when light shines ?
> > >

> > Since darkness is a manifestation of prakriti, it will go back to its
> > source.

> > > //Sw. Gambhirananda translation, says:
> > >
> > > The doubt arises as to whether the word light refers to the "light
> > visible
> > > to the eye" and dispelling darkness, or to Supreme Brahman.//
> > >

> > The Anandagiri and Ratnaprabha commentaries interpret that part of the
> > compound word as 'the darkness that envelops the objects perceptible to
> the
> > eye such as a pot.'
> >
> > regards
> > vs