[Advaita-l] Debunking Drishti-Srishti Vada and Eka Jiva Vada - part 1

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 13:17:50 EDT 2017

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 5:51 PM, Venkatraghavan S <agnimile at gmail.com>
wrote:

> All those who are at present considering
>
>> the SDV, an adhyaropa, as the truth, will have to eventually come to DSV,
>> naturally.   They may postpone the transition but can never avoid it.
>> There
>> are no 'this or that' alternative in Vedanta; it is 'only DSV' as the
>> ultimate path.
>> regards
>> subbu
>>
>> Dear Subbuji,
>
> Apologies for wading into this conversation - I have not been following
> the details of the various arguments, but could you please explain your
> statement that a person who holds on to srishTa drishTi has to necessarily
> come to drishTa srishTi before attaining moksha? I am not saying it is
> incorrect, I am only trying to understand.
>
> Could the order not be: 1) I see creation. 2) What I see is an appearance
> 3) Therefore there is no creation 4) I am all there is.

Dear Venkat ji,

Between 1 and 2 there has to be a link. That is the hetu drshyatvAt. And
the drshtanta is svapnavat. Even if one takes examples like mirage water or
magician's presentation, the mithyaatva element is unavoidable. The extra
inevitable prayojanam of the svapna drshtAnta is that it helps the seer to
see himself as the kAraNam of the seen jagat. It is for this reason that
this example is given. Unless one knows to see oneself as the kAranam of
the drshta prapancha, the paricchinnatva bhrama will not go. And this is
essential for receiving the anubhava of aham brahma. The upanishad speaks
the phala thereof as 'sarvAtmabhAvApatti' (Br.Up.1.4.10).  I shall give
just two examples of how this sarva kAraNatvam is taught for the
contemplation by the mumukshu:

एकमेव सदनेककारणं
कारणान्तरनिरासकारणम् ।
कार्यकारणविलक्षणं स्वयं
ब्रह्म तत्त्वमसि भावयात्मनि ॥ २६१ ॥  विवेकचूडामणिः

This is one of the some ten verses with the same refrain in the VC where
the aspirant is asked to contemplate 'Tat tvam asi'. The verses are filled
with examples, tarka. Here the One Sat, Brahman, is taught as the kAranam
of the multiple effects. It is known that the karanam pervades the karyam.
So, the vyApakatvam, in other words, Anantyam, is stressed here. This is
achieved through the dream example where the drashta is the adhishthAnam
for the drshyam. And it is well known that the kAranatvam is
vivartopadanatvam.

The other instance I want to show here is the Manishapanchakam second verse:

ब्रह्मैवाहमिदं जगच्च सकलं चिन्मात्रविस्तारितं
सर्वं चैतदविद्यया त्रिगुणयाऽशेषं मया कल्पितम् ।
इत्थं यस्य दृढा मतिः सुखतरे नित्ये परे निर्मले
चण्डालोऽस्तु स तु द्विजोऽस्तु गुरुरित्येषा मनीषा मम ॥2॥

Here the realized man expresses his anubhava as 'all this is imagined by me
through avidya of three gunas.'  I salute  the one of such firm
conviction....

It is stated by Shankara in the BGB and in the BSB that in all the adhyatma
shastra the statements of the Jivanmukta/Jnani's lakshana is for the reason
that it is for the mumukshu to contemplate on those lines, since those
lakshanas are yatnasAdhya, achievable by effort. The 'aham manurabhavam
sUryascha' expression of Vamadeva of his enlightenment, sarvAtmabhAva, as
Shankara says there, is also for enabling the aspirant to so simulate and
finally really experience.