[Advaita-l] Traditional works on Drishti-Srishti-Vada (DSV)

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 01:42:45 EDT 2017

And the Sutasamhita which is part of the Skanda purana is also a fine
source.  The Yajnavaibhavakhanda there contains a summary of all the
upanishads in so many chapters bringing out the Advaita Vedanta Tattva
where Brahman, imagining itself as the  jiva, is apparently in samsara.

Shankara cites a verse in the Vishnu sahasra nama bhashya, the source of
which remains unknown:

स्वमायया स्वमात्मानं मोहयन्द्वैतमायया ।
गुणाहितं स्वमात्मानं लभते च स्वयं हरिः ॥

Deluding himself by the māyā of dvaita, Hari, also renders himself
endowed with (samsara) guṇa-s. 'āhitam' in the second line also means
'freed of'. So, by himself he becomes freed from guṇas.  This perhaps
is the best depiction of Ekajiva/DSV from Shankara's own citation.

Also, Shankara cites a verse from the 'Shakuntalopakhyanam' of the MB,
Adiparvan, in the VSN bhashya to show that one takes oneself to be
different from what one is in truth:

योऽन्यथा सन्तमात्मानन्यथा प्रतिपद्यते।
किं तेन न कृतं पापं चोरेणात्मापहारिणा।। 1-98-7a
1-98-7b
एकोऽहमस्मीति च मन्यसे त्वं
न हृच्छयं वेत्सि मुनिं पुराणम्।
यो वेदिता कर्मणः पापकस्य
तस्यान्तिके त्वं वृजिनं करोषि।। 1-98-8a
1-98-8b
1-98-8c
1-98-8d

   The first cited verse is in the Manu smriti too.

In the book Sridakshinamurti stotram, the author has cited the Narada
pancharatra:

अयं प्रपञ्चो मिथ्यैव सत्यं ब्रह्माहमद्वयम् । अत्र प्रमाणं वेदान्ता
गुरवोऽनुभवस्तथा ।। ३५    This verse is found in the Yogavasishtha  and
some other texts too.

In the Brahmasamhita we have:

द्वैतं नास्तीति  बोधेन मनसो द्वैतनाशनम् |

एतदन्तो हि संसारो ब्रह्मन्नेवं विचारय ||

Here too the dvaita is clearly stated to be imagined by the mind.

There seems to be no end to the textual sources for the concept of DSV/EJV.

The Ribhu gita is also another text of this nature.

regards
subbu