[Advaita-l] Please answer to this

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 04:14:10 CDT 2015

Sri Venkat Ji,

Sidhanta Lesa Sangraha by Sri Appayya Dikshita ( translation by Sri
Suryanarayana Shastri is available ) is perhaps one good source for getting
to know the different approaches and views of various advaitic schools of
thought. ( I am open to correction on this ). This work was written in the
sixteenth century. Perhaps there was not much of change in position till
the twentieth century. But during the 20th century , practically all these
schools of thought were challenged by Sri Sachidanandendra Saeaswati
Swamiji ( Sri SSS ) of Holenarsipur in Karnataka as contrary to the Shrutis
and Bhashyam of Sri Bhagavatpada . He propounded his own interpretation of
the Shrutis along with the Bhashyam and contended that this was the only
interpretation which was consistent with them. His work in sanskrit Vedanta
Prakriya Pratyabhijna ( translated into english The Method of the Vedanta
by Sri AJ Alston ) sets forth his arguments in a very detailed manner .

As Sri Subrahmanian Ji mentions , while these books could be referred to
for knowing the status of different schools of thought on advaita , it is
necessary for the student of vedanta to come to his own conclusion as to
the particular thought process which suits his own understanding. Sri
Sureswaracharya is credited with the view that any particular school of
thought could be followed for understanding as long as the Goal is the
same.

Regards

Chandramouli

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 4:27 PM, Sundaram Venkatraman via Advaita-l <