[Advaita-l] Please answer to this

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 06:36:32 CDT 2015

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 4:27 PM, Sundaram Venkatraman <svenkat52 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear Subramanianji,
>
> Thank you very much for your wonderful clarifications. I don't know
> Kannada. But from the title of the first Kannada book 'Akshobya Vijaya
> Vibhrama' referred to by you, I get a feeling the story about the victory
> of Akshobhya Theertha over Swami Vidyaranya in a debate is an illusion. Can
> you confirm this please?

Yes, according to the author's well researched conclusion, the so-called
debate itself did not take place.  He has compiled a number of documents in
support of his thesis.

> One more request from my side. I am generally aware of the tenets of
> advaita vedanta. But when it comes to discussions on Shankara and
> post-shankara advaita and the differences between the two, I am lost. More
> specifically my questions are
>
> 1. In what ways are Bhamati and Vivarana schools different from original
> Shankara Vedanta and from each other?

There are well-written articles on this.  Pl. see if Sri S.N.Sastri ji's
article is available in this or Advaitin (yahoo group) files section.

> 2. Did the differences arise after the period of the 4 direct disciples of
> Shankara or the direct disciples themselves deviated from Shankara in
> important ways?

It would be wrong to say that any disciple of Shankara 'deviated' from the
Great Guru.  It is only a prakriyā difference.

> You may also refer me if possible to good books, if any, on the subject.

I have not read books on this subject.  Others in the forum might be of
help in this regard.  Also, it is important to be cautious in reading such
books.  How far those authors themselves are really conversant with the
subject matter is to be questioned.

warm regards
subrahmanian.v