[Advaita-l] Sringeri Jagatguru announces His Successor

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 6 12:04:17 CST 2015

Namaste,
You said as follows ;QuoteBut I can say there are many bright scholar boys in Iyers, Namboodiris or
Kannada or Tulu or Konkani speaking Brahmins also. They can be given a
chance also.Unquote
If that is so, why not then, someone from Kashmir to Assam, be also considered for the august position ? Is not the Sringeri Peeth one of the the most prominent Peeth and does it not command respect throughout India?

As regards the Peethadhipatis , it appears that Adi Shankaracharya kept in mind that a person, familiar with the local conditions, could  take that responsibiltiy better.  According to some accounts, Prithvadhara (also called Hastamaklaka), the son of Prabhakara, hailing from Gokarn in Karnataka, was the choice for the Sringeri peeth. As regards Sureshwaracharya, he appears to have always accompanied Adi Shankaracharya till the latter took samadhi, and later on he acted more like a roving ambassador of Adi Shankaracharya to all the Peethas. That could also be the reason why more than one Peetha associate him with them.
Now I have a question. Where did you find that Sureshvaracharya had to take a birth to become Vacaspati Mishra in order to write the Sutra-bhashya ? Of course, there is no denying that some scholars have pointed out that Vacaspati Mishra had a soft corner for Sureshvaracharya.

Regards,