[Advaita-l] Sringeri Jagatguru announces His Successor

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 5 17:57:44 CST 2015

I guess this exchange just goes to prove that no matter what, there will always
be someone who finds an apparent problem with things!

As others have pointed out, there is simply no room for language criteria in who
is chosen as a successor in Sringeri. The Acharyas don't think that way nor do the
vast majority of followers. What one sees instead, is that the person chosen to
lead the Peetham invariably demonstrates an amazing ability with many different
languages, including Kannada, Telugu, Tamil, Hindi, Marathi and nowadays English
too, in addition to Samskritam. And they don't study these languages the way
students generally learn them in modern schools.

If there is a heavier representation of Mulakanadu community people, then perhaps
one should look at how that community has been at the forefront of preserving the
vaidika traditions, from both pravRtti and nivRtti perspectives.

Best regards,
Vidyasankar