[Advaita-l] Need information on learning Vedas online

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Mon Aug 19 03:39:58 CDT 2013

On Sat, 17 Aug 2013, Rajaram Venkataramani wrote:

> RV: What is the reason? As Vedas are sakshat Ishwara and chanting itself is
> a great upasana, I thought it is highly desirable to learn Vedas more than
> Sanskrit.

Recitation (svAdhyAya) is important no doubt but the vedas also have a
practical use.  They are not just some super bhajan.  In particular
diligent performance of nitya and naimittika karma is a must for all
Brahmanas.  Thus knowing the mantras and procedure for that is top
priority but after that there are other things.

Today everyone and anyone are claiming vedic this and vedic that.  There
is so much bad information out there (E.g. this Vidushekhara Bhattacharya
affair.) and it is less likely ou will be misled by the unscrupulous if
you are well-informed.  This is a particular concern for those who are
isolated from the astika community whether insider bharat or outside.

Also if we are going to be established outside of Vedic cultures
traditional environment (again in India or outside) we need to build up a
proper infrastructure to ensure our continued progress.  Too many times
I've seen people get overenthusiastic, bite off more than they can chew
and then flame out.  And n particular we who are parents need to be
literate so we can ensure our children are dharmically literate.

> The latter is no doubt important to learn especially to access
> literatures that have not been translated properly or to understand the
> explanations.

As you increase your sanskrit knowledge, you will find translations to be
crutches you can increasingly do without.