[Advaita-l] 'asat' also means 'mithyA'

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 12:06:41 CDT 2013

It is not and let me explain. A pot has prAgabhAva (non-existence prior to
creation) and dhvamsabhAva (non-existence after destruction). Does it have
atyantAbhAva (absolute non-existence)? If it does have atyantAbhAva, then
how do we experience it? You have to say that it does not have atyantAbhAva
nor does it have bhAvA (existence) but is an adhyAsa (superimposition) on
sat (pure existence) due to ajnAnA. I ask the same question with respect to
ajnAnA - whether it exists (bhAvA) or not (abhAvA). If you say it exists
(sat), then I say it cannot be negated. If you say it does not, then you
have not answered the cause of my experience of jagat. You may get around
it by saying that mAyA is itself an adhyAsA on sat. And I will ask due to
what? You have to say due to mAyA leading to an infinite regress.  Or you
have to say that mAyA is anirvachaniya, which is acceptable but you call
mAyA anrtam (asat) sometimes in the context of ajAti vAdA - hence my
question "How do I experience a non-existence world?" remains.

It does not end here. What is the counter-correlative (pratiyogi) of sat if
asat is not (meaning abhAvA)? Also, if sat is different from knowledge (of
pot), then it will have objective limitation though not spacio-temporal. If
it is not different from knowledge due to superimposition, then it will
subject to creation and destruction as knowledge pot originates and
disappears.

Madhusudana Saraswati answers these objections in 2.16 and 2.17 (but he
also does not differentiate between Brahman and Ishwara). Quoting from the
end of his long commentary on this* "... great, endless, infinite Reality
is but Pure Intelligence" (Br. 2.4.12), "Brahman is truth, knowledge and
infinite" (Tai., 2.1) ... "There is nothing Higher than the Purusha. He is
the culmination, He is the Highest goal"  (Ka 1.3.11). It has also been
said by the commentator (Sankara) "All perishable things get destroyed with
the Purusha as their end. The Purusha does not perish, because there is no
means to His destruction"*
**