[Advaita-l] loss of right to perform vaidhika karma
sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 14 11:36:51 CST 2012
"Do the following categories of people forever lose their right to perform vaidhika karma or they can return to the vedic fold through prayaschitta karma?
Please look at the available prayachitta vidhis first. Of course, after this homework, where you do not find the prayachitta vidhis there can be input from the learned members.
From: Rajaram Venkataramani <rajaramvenk at gmail.com>
To: A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:21 AM
Subject: [Advaita-l] loss of right to perform vaidhika karma
I asked this question in another thread but went unheard - resending with
more clarity. Do the following categories of people forever lose their
right to perform vaidhika karma or they can return to the vedic fold
through prayaschitta karma?
1. Dwijas (incl. Kshatriyas and Vaishyas) who have not gone through
upanayam for more than three generations
2. Dwijas who have not gone through upanayanam at the right age
3. Dwijas who live abroad
4. Dwijas who eat foot not cooked by one's mother, wife or self
5. Dwijas who eat meat not offered in a vedic sacrifice
6. Dwijas who drink alcohol at parties (not the soma juice offered in
7. Dwijas who have affairs outside marriage
8. Dwijas who marry in the same gotra
9. Dwijas who have an anuloma marriage
10. Dwijas who commit mahapadaka, atipadaka and upapadaka - either
mentally, in words or in action
For travelling abroad leaving Bharatha Bhumi, I heard that there is a
ritual to destroy the negative effect.
To unsubscribe or change your options:
For assistance, contact:
listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org
More information about the Advaita-l mailing list