[Advaita-l] Jnana and ajnana (Bhakti vs. Jnana)

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 14:59:48 CDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 7:16 PM, Vidyasankar Sundaresan <
svidyasankar at hotmail.com> wrote:

> > > RV: You, as a moderator, have the right to regulate this forum through
> > advice, removal of posts or discordant members. However, it would be a
> good
> > idea to hear point of view as well though. First of all, the topic of my
>
> You have been on this forum long enough to know that the moderators give
> the greatest possible leeway to every single member here. The onus is on
> you, as an individual poster, to make yourself clear and to be as civil and
> as patient in responding to others as you expect them to be when they
> respond to you.

RV: I have been civil in the sense I did not make any personal attack. One
of the members agreed it was going overboard to call me insincere etc. In
the same breadth he pointed out that some members felt I was rude and
sarcastic. My apologies if I did sound that way. I respect scholarship leave
alone knowledge and devotion.

> Threads of discussion have an ebb and flow; they tend to wander afield
> and to morph into avenues that you may not have anticipated at first. With
> multiple voices chiming in, it is the nature of a list discussion to do so.
> You
> will notice that this thread has managed to get its title changed to "Jnana
> and ajnana". You are perfectly at liberty to leave this thread be and bring
> the discussion back to where you want it to go, but needless to say, there
> is an art to doing it well.
>
> It would perhaps be useful if you chose to focus on a specific and more
> narrowly defined point, whether textual or doctrinal, in a given thread. A
> very broadly worded and highly general topic will necessarily generate a
> wide variety of viewpoints and it would behove you not to pour scorn upon
> those with views differing from your own. If your intent is to focus on
> bhakti
> in advaita, it would certainly help if you adopted a less adversarial tone
> towards other members than you have done so far. Rest assured that none
> of those who have engaged with you in a discussion so far think of bhakti
> in an inferior manner.
>
> My advice, to which you have responded, was more about how you choose
> to express yourself, and less about the content of your posts. One sentence
> am
> simply passing along to you a lesson learned from experience - it is the
> manner in which one speaks/writes that often gets in the way of others
> appreciating and understanding what it is that one wishes to convey. Make
> of it what you will.
>
> RV: I really don't get what is wrong with one sentence response especially
when I say I agree.