[Advaita-l] Jivanmukti - Jnana plus Sannyasa pt 4

Anbu sivam2 anbesivam2 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 12:13:09 CDT 2009

Shyamji,

Quote: "My aim (as the title of my series indicates) is to show that the
traditional position is this - without sannyasa, even if one acquires samyag
Jnana, it does not confer the fruit of jivanMukti."

You did ably show the traditional position.  But how would you explain great
many Gnanis from Janaka onwards who remained Jivanmukthas without entering
Sanyasa Aasrama?

Sringeri Aacharya seem to have sent an emissery to Bhagavan Ramana with a
message to him to take to Sanyasa.  The messenger said to Bhagavan "I am
going to have dharshan of Arunachaleswarar now and when I come back I need
an answer from you".  As soon as the gentleman left, a man who sells books
like a street hawker came to Bhagavan and opened his cloth bundle, took out
a book and gave to Bhagavan and left.  The gentleman from Sringeri came back
from the temple.  Bhagavan opened the book and the man got curious! Bhagavan
gave him the book with that page opened and he read in it a stanza
attributing to Shiva that for a realized person asrama dharma is simply
useless!

Later on, on another occassion when someone asked Bhagavan Ramana as to what
is dharma, he said: "If you see a realized person, whatever that person does
is dharma."

'na karmaNa, na prajaya, na dhana -  thyaagEnaikE amrithathvamaanasuhu'.
You can be idle, childless and poor but it would not confer amrithathvam.
So, here the thyaagam is not of karma or praja or dhana but of the intellect
that guards the ego.  Without the intellect the ego dies in no time!