[Advaita-l] Re: Bhutas and Tantra

venkata subramanian venkat_advaita at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 25 23:50:45 CDT 2003

Thanks for this.  so, it means...Vinayaka gana Mathru ganascha.  is it so Vidyashankar.

Vidyasankar Sundaresan <svidyasankar at hotmail.com> wrote:>The reply has cleared some of my doubts.
>however, in the Srimad Bhagavad Gita Bhashya, is not the Acharya using the
>word - Vinayaka matrugana chaturbhaginyadi.....(if i remember correct).
>
>the word "vinayaka" there is it not is singular ?! the "adi" is only the
>prathyahara of etc.
>thus vinayaka is it not in singular there. if it is so, then how come can
>we take it directly as vinayakas and mean only the evil spirits.

vinAyakamAtRgaNa is one compound, and refers to the groups of vinAyaka-s and
mAtR-s. The former refers to yakShas and the latter usually to the
sapta-mAtRkAs, who are usually worshipped together in Tantric rites. Sankara
actually uses the term saptamAtRkA in chapter 17. The term caturbhaginI is a
bit more obscure. I have found references to "four sisters" only in Tantric
Buddhist (vajrayAna) accounts.

Vidyasankar

Need assistance? Contact:
listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org