Re Paramahansas

hbdave hbd at DDIT.ERNET.IN
Mon Mar 18 04:52:39 CST 2002

Sankaran Aniruddhan wrote:

> namaste,
>
> > vyaacak.sataa.m te "saastraa.ni vedaanadhyaapayantu vaa
> > |
> > ye .a traadhikaari.no me tu naadhikaaro .a kriyatvata.h
> >
> > Let those who are entitled to it, explain scriptures or
> > teach Vedas.
> > I am not so entitled because all my actions have ceased.
>
> Isn't VidyAraNya-SwAmigal saying this about the  karma
> kanda part of the vedas and not vedanta?

The verse no [256] says :
{\skt   anuti.s.thantu karmaa.ni paralokayiyaasava.h |}
{\skt   sarvalokaatmaka.h kasmaadanuti.s.thaami ki.m katham ||}

Let those desirous of joy in heaven perform the ordained rituals.
I pervade all the worlds. How and wherefore should I undertake
such actions?

This verse already talks about Karmamanda and so in the next
verse [257], where Vedas are refered, we can safely infer that
the j~naana kaa.nda is mentioned.

Actually, there is a progression of ideas : in the earlier verse [255]
there is reference to "ignorant people of the world who perform
worldly actions and desire to possess wives, children and wealth ..."

> Every JnAnI has
> had disciples to whom he has taught     vedAnta, and this
> involves interpretation of scriptures. Can you please
> write a short note on the context in which
> VidyAraNya-SwAmigal says this?

The verses I have quoted are in Pa~ncada"sii  of Swami Vidyaara.nya
(as translated by Swami Swahananda,
    Publ. Shri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore, Madras (Chinnai))
in its Chapter VII  t.rptidiipa - the Lamp of Perfect Satisfaction.

It is rather a long chapter. Starting with explanation of concepts like
jiiva, chidaabhaasa, kutastha (he very carefully differentiates between
kutastha and the idea that "I am kutastha"), seven stages or states of
the self - like ignorance, obscuration, etc. - how to understand the
Mahaavaakya like   tattvamasi, various methods like meditation, Japa,
etc.,  Karma and its effects on a j~naanii and aj~naanii.

Then in  preparation for discussing perfect satisfaction and
Jivanamukta,
he discusses in detail about chidaabhaasa+kutastha (jiiva) as the
enjoyer.

Then comes verses 253 to 270 wherein he discusses release, Jivanamukta
and his/her "feelings".

> Sruti smRti purANAnAm Alayam karuNAlayam
> namAmi bhagavatpAda Sam.karam lokaSam.karam
>
> Aniruddhan

I hope this clarifies?
-- Himanshu