braHmavid=Krishna?

Aniruddhan ani at EE.WASHINGTON.EDU
Fri Aug 16 11:01:56 CDT 2002

namaste,

>Once the nirguna brahman, the Ultimate, is reached,
>why would a jnani, who has cast off all attachments to
>this world and in fact sees it as unreal, want to use
>his powers? The jnani definitely would have attained
>all powers to be attained (except creation of the
>universe).
>---
>
>Why would he want to use? Because I want him to use.
>Because I want to know what he is. Because I want to
>know what his jnana is. From Sri Aniruddhan's answer,
>the following question arises:

If you want to know what his jnana is, the correct way to go about finding
this out is not to observe his siddhis.

>If Ishvara is a different "view" of the nirguNa
>braHman, and if the Universe is Ishvara's maayaa (of
>which Kiran filled with avidyA is part), what is it
>that prevents the braHmavid, who is nothing but the
>nirguNa braHman, from asking Ishvara to change some
>trivial rules of Physics for the sake of Kiran?

because this world and maya are unreal, and He doesn't care about things He
knows are unreal, and because He knows the Real. And also because He bows
down before maya as Ishvara's power in this world.

>Can the braHmavid beat the laws of Physics? Can he
>control Maayaa? Can he run 100m in 2s? Yes or no?

Maybe he can, maybe he can't. He will not bother to even try. Hence we
ordinary people will never know. Can I balance a pole on the tip of my nose?
Maybe I can or maybe I can't. And I really don't care enough to try because
it doesn't matter. We'll never know now will we? :-)

>I believe that
>Krishna, if he wills, can change this entire maayaa.
>If he wills, tomorrow water will turn into ice on
>heating. If he cannot, what is the point in calling
>him as Bhagavan? I wouldn't call him who has to bow
>down to the laws of Physics (maayaa) as Bhagavan. It
>is He who controls the laws of Physics who is
>Bhagavan.

Agreed.

>And I believe that advaita says that it is Him that
>the braHmavid "becomes".

No. The entity whom you call Bhagavan above is Ishvara, the controller of
maya. The brahmavid "becomes" nirguna brahman.

> If a long-distance runner's
>avidyA is completely removed, he "becomes" Bhagavan
>Krishna. This is my belief. Is it wrong? Please let me
>know.

As far as I know, yes it seems to be wrong. Nobody can become Ishvara.

>According to me, a braHmavid has no incapabilities. If
>he has not the capability of controlling maayaa,
>Advaita becomes mostly a way of removing oneself from
>this maayaa whereas people sitting next to one are not
>helped in any way.

If at all we can prove that there are entities other than ourselves. From
the paramarthika point of view, there is no one striving for liberation. And
for the jnAni, there are no "other people" to help. He will however teach
"others" the Path out of compassion for them.

>We all have incapabilities in this maayaa which we
>live in. One thing is to get out of this maayaa,
>attain the "param" (braHmavidaapnOti param) and become
>one with the nirguNa braHman and never return to "do"
>any "karma" in this world.

No, for the real jnani, there is no "going away from this maya" and no
"return".

> But of what use is the
>braHmavidyA and of what use is the braHmavid to this
>maayaalOka if Bhagavan Krishna does not keep his word
>of "sambhavAmi yugE yugE"?

Bhagavan Krishna is an avatar of Ishvara, and has come down for a particular
purpose. A jnani, on the other hand is a jiva who has attained moksha.

>If I who now have innumerable incapabilities in this
>maayaa "become" the braHmavid, I want to come back to
>this maayaalOka on my own accord as The One without
>any incapabilities. That is, as Bhagavan Krishna. And
>if I cannot, braHmavidyA is not as useful as I thought
>it would be.

Like I said earlier, there is no "going" or "coming back" for a jnani. It is
not as if, after attaining moksha, he has reached a different place. He just
Is.

Sruti smRti purANAnAm Alayam karuNAlayam
namAmi bhagavatpAda Sam.karam lokaSam.karam

Aniruddhan