shrI sha.nkara aShtottara shata nAmAvaliH

Ravisankar S. Mayavaram msr at ISC.TAMU.EDU
Mon Jul 27 22:27:04 CDT 1998

namaskAram.h

I am enclosing the full text of shrI shankArachArya aShtottara
shata nAmvaliH and stotram here. This is a large document. When
you reply please quote only the relevant text.

There may be many error in the text. It may be
a) Typographical errors
b) Splitting names at wrong places
c) Misinterpretation
b) Wrong nAmAvali form

In any case, it has crept in due to my ignorance. I apologize for
that. Please send the errors and corrections to me (personal). I
will incorporate them before submitting to the Jaguar site.

Thank you.

With respects,
Ravi

|| shrI shankarAcharyAShtottarashatanAmAvaliH ||

VERSE 1

shrIsha.nkarAchAryavaryo brahmAnandapradAyakaH |
aj~nAnatimirAdityassuj~nAnAmbudhichandramAH || 1||

1) AUM shrI sha.nkarAchAryavaryAya namaH

I bow to the noble and respectable shrI shankarAcharya. The word
"varya" is a modification of "Arya" (and it is closely related to the
tamil word aiyA)

2) AUM brahmAnandapradAyakAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who bestows the bliss of brahman to his
disciples by conferring AtmajnAnam.

3) AUM aj~nAnatimirAdityAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who dispels the aj~nAnam with brahmaj~nAnam
like the Sun's bright light rays dispels the darkness.

4) AUM suj~nAnAmbudhichandramAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who bestows the auspicious knowledge of brahman
to his disciples, like a a full moon showering its cool rays to a
large body of water.

VERSE 2

varNAshramapratiShTAtA shrImAnmuktipradAyakaH |
shiShyopadeshanirato bhaktAbhIShTapradAyakaH || 2 ||

5) AUM varNAshramapratiShTatre namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who firmly [re]stablished the varNAshrama
system.

6) AUM shrImate namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who possesses all auspicious attributes.

7) AUM muktipradAyakAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who bestows mukti to his devotees by conferring
Atmaj~nAnam to them.

8) AUM shiShyopadeshaniratAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is ever keen to instruct his disciples.

9) AUM bhaktAbhIShTapradAyakAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who grants the much desired wishes (abhi iShTa)
of his devotees. The most desired thing is the non-dual bliss of
brahman, which He bestows to them through Atmaj~nAnam.

VERSE 3

sUkShmatattvarahasyaj~naH kAryAkAryaprabodhakaH |
j~nAnamudrA~nchitakarash-shiShyahR^ittApahArakaH || 3||

10) AUM sUkShma-tattva-rahasya-j~nAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who knows the intricate and secret tatvam. The
word tattvam which is often used to mean philosophy is the key as it
denotes tattvamasi. The most secret, sacred and intricate truth is the
identity of Atman and brahman.

11) AUM kAryAkaryaprabodhakAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who taught about "what that needs to be done"
and "what that should not be done". To do what has to be done and to
abstain from what that should not be done is the art of right living.

12) AUM jnAna-mudrA~nchitakarAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara whose hands hold the jnAna mudrA. mudrA means
gesture. There is specific gesture known as jnAna mudrA. This mudra is
also known as chinmudra. In this one joins the tip of the thumb with
the tip of the index finger forming a circle.  The term jnAna mudrA
also means one who gives (ra) the bliss (mud) of jnAna.

13) AUM shiShya-hrit-tApa-harAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who destroys the heat or obstacles that trouble
the hearts of his disciples. He destroys that heat by bestowing cool
nectar like AtmajnAnam. We chant shAnti thrice to overcome the
tApatrayam (AdhyAtmikam, Adhibautika and Adhidaivika). shrI lalita
sahasranAmam praises shrI mAtA as
"tAptrayAgnisa.ntaptasAmhlAdanachandrikA", Like HER, shrI shankara
destroys the tApa by bestowing the cool nectar of AtmajnAnam.

VERSE 4

parivrAjAshramoddhartA sarvatantrasvatantradhIH |
advaitasthApanAchAryassAkShAchCha.nkararUpabhR^it.h || 4||

14) AUM parivrAjAshramoddhArtre namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who re-organized and strengthened the sannyAsa
Ashrama.  The present dashanAmi sampradAyam owes its existence to shrI
shankara.

15) AUM sarvatantrasvantradhiye namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is the master of all existing systems of
thought yet formulated and presented his own system of thought in a
unique fashion.

16) AUM advaita-sthApanAchAryAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who firmly [re-]established the advaita
vedAnta. Adavaita guru parampara starts with shrIman nArAyana. But it
was shrI shankara who established it firmly through his bhAshyams on
upaniShads, bhagavad gIta and brahmasUtra, prakaraNa granthas and
through establishment of mAthas.

17) AUM sAkShAchCha.nkararUpabhrite namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is indeed Lord shiva. shrI shankara is
considered by his disciples as none but the great Lord shiva himself.

The verse in toTakAShTakam

bhava eva bhava niti me nitaraM samajAyata chetasi kautikitA mama
vAraya moha mahAjaladhiM bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam.h

and the famous verse attributed to padmapAda which he realized and
uttered during the great debate between shrI vedavyAsa and shrI
shankara,

shankaraM shankarAchAryaM keshavam bAdarAyaNam.h sUtrabhAShyakR^itau
vande bhagavantau punaH punaH

indicates this.

VERSE 5

ShanmatasthApanAchAryastrayImArga prakashakaH |
vedavedAntatattvaj~no durvAdimatakhaNDanaH || 5||

18) AUM ShanmatasthApanAchAryAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who established the six modes (religions) of
worship. These are

1) shaivam Worship of Lord Shiva 2) shAktam Worship of parAshaktI 3)
vaiShnavam Worship of shrIman nArAyaNa 4) gAnapatyam Worship of
mahAganapati 5) sauram Worship of Surya 6) kaumAram Worship of kumara
or Lord Muruga

19) AUM trayImArgaprakAshakAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who made the path of the followers of vedas
easy by shedding light on its meanings. Vedas are known by the term
"trayI"

20) AUM vedavedAntatattvaj~nAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who knew the intricate and subtle philosophy of
vedas and upaniShads.  To Him the ocean of knowledge was a mere drop
of water which He could sip as easily as one sips water from one's
palm.

21) AUM durvAdimatakhaNDanAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who cut the arguments of avaidika philosphers
into pieces and eliminated nAstika systems.

VERSE 6

vairAgyaniratashshAntassaMsArArNavatArakaH |
prasannavadanAmbhojaH paramArthaprakAshakaH || 6||

22) AUM vairAgyaniratAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is keen on detachment from sense pleasures.
Verse 21 of vivekachUDamaNI describes what vairagyam. Starting from
this body even upto brahma's body, whatever pleasure arises through
senses lead only to trouble. Knowing this a jnAni detaches himself and
develops dislike for these.

23) AUM shAntAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is always peaceful. This peacefulness is a
mark of self-realization.

24) AUM saMsArNavatArakAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who helps his disciiples to cross the ocean of
samsara.

25) AUM prasannavadanAmbujAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara whose face is bright and beautiful like a
lotus.

26) AUM paramArthaprakAshakAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who sheds light on the way to achieve the
highest goal, mukti.

VERSE 7

purANasmR^itisAraj~no nityatR^ipto mahA~nChuchiH |
nityAnando nirAta.nko nissa.ngo nirmalAtmakaH || 7 ||

27) AUM puraNasmR^itisAraj~nAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who knows the essence of puraNas and smR^iti.

28) AUM nityatR^iptAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is ever content.

29) AUM mahate namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is great.

30) AUM shuchaye namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is pure.

31) AUM nityAnandAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is ever in the state of bliss.

32) AUM nirAta.nkAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is fearless.

33) AUM nissa.ngAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who has no bondage.

34) AUM nirmalAtmakAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is free of impurities.

VERSE 8

nirmamo niraha"nkAro vishvavandyapadAmbujaH |
sattvapradhAnassadbhAvassa"nkhyAtItaguNojjvalaH || 8||

35) AUM nirmamAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is free from mamakAram. (mamakAram is an
attitude which leads one to think "this is mine", which would also
simulataneously imply "something else is not mine. It can be
translated as Mineness).

36) AUM niraha"nkArAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is free from ahaMkAram.  ahaMkAram is "I am
the doer" attitude. HE is free from that.

37) AUM vishva-vandya-padAmbujAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara at whose lotus feet the universe bows.

38) AUM sattvapradhAnaya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara in whom sattva guNa is predominant.

39) AUM sadbhAvAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who (always) contemplates on the Truth.

40) AUM sa"nkyAtItagunojjvalaya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara whose nature shines above the sAMkhya
philosophy. Non-dual brahman is not described correctly by the sAMkhya
philosophy which enumerates 25 principles. shrI shankara who has
AtmajnAnam, who ever abides in the brahman, cannot be described by the
sa"nkhya philosophy, as this truth is beyond its scope.

VERSE 9

anaghassArahR^idayassudhIsArasvatapradaH |
satyAtmA puNyashIlashcha sA"nkhyayogavilakShaNaH || 9 ||

41) AUM anaghAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is free from bad qualities.

42) AUM sArahR^idayasudhiye namaH

I bow to shrI shankara the essence of whose heart is nectar.

43) AUM sArasvatapradAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who bestows knowledge and kavitvam.

Once shrI shankara bestowed out of his infinite grace,
instantaneously, knowledge and kavitvam to his disciple giri. shrI
giri is known as toTakAcharya after the toTakAShTakam which he
composed in praise of shrI shankara.

44) AUM satyAtmane namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who abides in the Truth.

45) AUM puNyashIlAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara whose conduct is pious.

46) AUM sA"nkhyayogavilakShaNAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankar who through his advaita-vedanta vAda proved that
the goal of sAnkhyayoga deviates from the truth.

VERSE 10

taporAshir mahAtejo guNatrayavibhAgavit.h |
kalighnaH kAlakarmaj~nastamoguNanivArakaH || 10 ||

47) AUM taporAshaye namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is the embodiment of penance.

48) AUM mahAtejAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who has great effulgence.

49) AUM guNatrayavibhAgavide namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who has the knowledge about the three different
guNas (sattva, rajas and tamas).

50) AUM kalighnAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is the enemy (or destroyer) of the sinful
effects of the kali age.

51) AUM kAlakarmaj~nAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who knows the time for appropriate actions. It
can also means He knows what events will happen with the flow time.

52) AUM tamoguNanivArakAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who removes the tamo guNam from his devotees or
prevents them from it.  tamas literally means darkness. tamo guNam
denotes ignorance. He removes ignorance from his devotees by bestowing
AtmajnAnam. There can be no darkness where there is light, His very
presence prevents the advent of ignorance.

VERSE 11

bhagavAnbhAratIjetA shAradAhvAnapaNditaH |
dharmAdharmavibhAvaj~no lakShyabhedapradarshakaH || 11||

53) AUM bhagavate namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is the supreme Lord.

54) AUM bhAratIjite namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who defeated shrI sarasvatI in debate.

55) AUM shArAdAhvAnapaNditAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara the great scholar who was invited by shrI
sarasvatI (bhAratI, wife of maNDana mishra who is considered as
avatAram of Goddess Sarasvati) for debate. He defeated Her in the
debate.

Finally even when ascending the sarvaj~na pITham, he silenced Her
protest by refuting her charge. shrI sarasvatI charged him saying that
he is not pure. shankara refuted the charge by saying that this body
cannot be held inmpure for the sins committed by the King's body. She
then remained silent and let him ascend the sarvaj~na pITham

56) AUM dharmAdharmavibhAvaj~nAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who knows the distinction between dharma and
adharma and who has an indepth understanding of it.

57) AUM lakShyabhedapradarshakAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who knows what the goal is and what is not. His
teachings exhibit this difference and helps his disciples. For if one
does not know the distinction he/she may not attain it.

VERSE 12

nAdabindukalAbhij~no yogihR^itpadmabhAskaraH |
atIndriyaj~nAnanidhirnityAnityavivekavAn.h || 12||

58) AUM nAdabindukalAbhij~nAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who knows the philosophy of nAda-bindu-kala.
nAda denotes sound or vibration, and often the praNavam AUM. Bindu
denotes a dot or a central point. kAla has various interpretions.
Theory of creation is explained in many texts using this terminology.

59) AUM yogihR^itpadmabhAskarAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara at whose thought the heart of a yogi blooms
like a lotus which blossoms at the sight of Sun.  In the case of the
lotus flower the physical presence of Sun is required. But yogi's
heart opens up with joy at the mere thought of the name of the shrI
shankara. Such is His greatness.

60) AUM atIndriyAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who has a more exalted stated than Indra. The
name Indra can also denote indriyAs or senses. Hence the name could
mean one who has conquered the senses or one who is above the sway of
sense pleasures.

61) AUM j~nAnanidhaye namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is a treasure house of wisdom.

62) AUM nityAnityavivekavate namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who knows the distinction between eternal
(nitya) and ephemeral (anitya or non-eternal).

VERSE 13

chidAnandashchinmayAtmA parakAyapraveshakR^it.h |
amAnuShacharitrADhyaH kShemadAyI kShamAkaraH || 13||

63) AUM chidAnandAya namaH I bow to shrI shankara whose form is
consciousness and bliss. Knower of brahman indeed becomes brahman.

64) AUM chinmayAtamane namaH I bow to shrI shankara who is the all
pervading consciouness or Awareness.

65) AUM parakAyapraveshakR^ite namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who knows the art of para kAya praveshaM and
who has done that. para kAya pravesham is entering into another body.
Patanjali yoga sUtras describe how an advanced yogi can do that. When
challenged by shrI bhAratI (maNDAna mishra's wife, who is the avataram
of shrI sarasvatI) with questions related to conjugal love, shankara
used the parakAya pravesha vidyA and entered body of the king
amaruka. In that body he wrote a work describing the nature of
conjugal love which is called after the name of the King. This episode
can be learnt in detail from the shankara digvijaya of
Madhava-Vidyaranya*.

66) AUM amAnuShacharitrADhyAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara whose life exemplifies divine nature. It is
humanly impossible task to accomlish what shrI shankara accomplished
in a brief span of his life on earth. His divine nature is
demonstrated through this. Out of boundless mercy, Ishwara himself
came down to this earth to establish dharma.

67) AUM kShemadAyine namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who bestows welfare to his devotees. The best
thing which will bring welfare to person is nitya-anitya vastu
vivekam. Through His teachings, shrI shankara, taught the knowldge
which discriminates between the eternal and ephemeral.

68) AUM kShamakAraya namaH I bow to shrI shankara who forgives the
mistakes out of His boundless love.

VERSE 14

bhavyo bhadraprado bhUri mahimA vishvara~njakaH |
svaprakAshassadAdhAro vishvabandhushshubhodayaH || 14||

69) AUM bhavyAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who has become (That). bhava means become.

70) AUM bhadrapradAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is the bestower of auspciousness. bhadraM
means auspiciousness or goodness or something that has to be
treasured.

71) AUM bhUrimahimne namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who has countless glories.

72) AUM vishvaranjakAya namaH I bow to shrI shankara who (through his
teachings) made the world happy.

73) AUM svaprakAshAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is self luminous.

74) AUM sadAdhAraya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is the eternal support.

75) AUM vishvabandhave namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is a relative (and friend ) to all. Being
the Self He is related to everyone. A true friend is one who is
interested in one's welfare. Through His teachings shrI shankara helps
the devotees to cross the might ocean of saMsara. He is indeed the
best friend for everyone.

76) AUM shubhodayAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is the auspicious dawn to his devotees. He
dispells the darkness of ignorance through the light of his knowledge.

VERSE 15

vishAlakIrtirvAgIshassarvalokahitotsukaH |
kailAsayAtrasaMprApta chandramauliprapUjakaH || 15||

77) AUM vishAlakIrtaye namaH

I bow to shrI shankara whose fame is vast and great.

78) AUM vAgIshAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is a Lord of speech. His skill in debating
and in expressing the great truths is very well known.

79) AUM sarvalokahitotsukAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is keen in the welfare of beings in all the
worlds.

80) AUM kalilAsayAtrasaMprApta chandramauliprapUjakAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who after reaching kailAsam (abode of Lord
shiva)and worshipped him as chandramaulIshvara. The shiva li"ngAm-s he
brought back from the trip are still being worshipped at the maTham-s
established by shrI shankara.

VERSE 16

kA.nchyAM shrIchakra rAjakhya yantra sthApana dIkShitaH |
shrIchakrAtmaka tATa"nka toShitAmbA manorathaH || 16||

81) AUM kA.nchyAM shrIchakra rAjakhya yantra sthApana dIkShitAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who established the famous shrIchakra yantra at
the kAnchi temple. Among the many yantra-s shrI chakra is the most
powerful and it is considered as the king of all yantra-s.

82) AUM shrIchakrAtmaka tATa"nka toShitAmbA manorathAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who adorned shrI akhilAndeshvarI (at
tiruvAnaikka)with ear rings in the form of shrI chakra and made Her
happy by fulfilling Her wish.

VERSE 17

brahmasUtropaniShadbhAShyAdigranthakalpakaH |
chaturdikchaturAmnAyapratiShThAtA mahAmatiH || 17||

83) AUM brahmasUtropaniShadbhAShyAdigranthakalpakAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who wrote bhAShyam-s on brahmasUtra,
upaniShad-s, bhagavadgItA, and prakaraNa granthas like vivekachUDAmaNi
explaining the Ultimate.  I bow to Him again and again. Without these
works it is impossible to understand the Ultimate truth explained in
veda-s and upaniShad-s.

84) AUM chaturdikchaturAmnAyapratiShTAtre namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who established four AmnAya maTham-s at corners
of four directions in bharatam. These maTham-s are shr^ingeri (south),
pUrI (East), jyotirmaTh (north), and dvArakA (west).  These maTham-s
in a sense give the geographic extent of bhAratham, were the sanAtana
dharma is practised.

85) AUM mahAmataye namaH

I bow to shrI shankara whose intellectual power was great.  shrI
shankara is well known for his logic and skills in debating.

VERSE 18

dvisaptati matochChettA sarvadigvijayaprabhuH |
kAShAyavasanopeto bhasmoddhULitavigrahaH || 18||

86) AUM dvispatati matochChettre namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who through the advaita vedAnta uplifted many
forms of religious worship by giving them a proper focus.  dvisaptati
means 140, here indicates many.  mata means religion and uchChetta
means uplifting.  Many religious observances can be done with various
goals, but if done with earnest intention of knowing the Self, these
observances get a proper focus.

87) AUM sarvadigvijayaprabhave namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is ever vistorious ( hence the Lord of) in
all his digvijayams. shrI shankara undertook many digvijayam-s, during
which he met many scholars of various religious traditions and debated
with them.  He always emerged victorious. During his digvijayas he
increased the spiritual power of many temples by establishing
shrIchakra yantra in them and helped bhaktas by composing hymns on
different deities. These digvijayas occupied a central place in his
life, hence his biographies are called as digvijaya-s.

88) AUM kAShAyavasanopetAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is dressed in ochre robes. kAShAyam means
ochre colour and denotes the clothes in that colour. sannyAsin wear
ochre coloured clothes. This colour resembles fire and denotes that
the sannyAsin has burnt all his attachments in the fire of
wisdom. shrI shankara who renounced all the attachments at a very
young age is the greatest of the sannyAsins.

89) AUM bhasmoddhULitavigrahAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara whose body has the sacred marks of bhasmam or
ash. His body smeared with bhasmam shines like a vigraham.

The sacred ash not only indicates the ephemeral nature of the world
(in a symbolic way), but also protects the wearer from evil influences
(being a yaj~na prasadam). In shrI subrahmanya bhujangam, shrI
shankara says that the vibhuti prasadam of lord shanmukha will destroy
many ills and evil influences.

VERSE 19

j~nAnatmakaikadaNDADhyaH kamaNDalulasatkaraH |
gurubhUmaNDalAchAryo bhagavatpAdasa.nj~nakaH || 19||

90) AUM j~nAnatmakaikadaNDADhyAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who bears a single daNDa (stick) to
symbolically show the j~nAna that AtmA is one. This points to the fact
that Atman and brahman are one. sannyAsins of dashanAmi order follow
this tradition till date.

91) AUM kamaNDalulasatkarAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara whose hand is adorned with
kamaNDalam. kamaNDalam is a small vessel (made from clay or wood. The
tree from which it is made is known as kamaNDalataru). SannyAsins
carry water in this small vessel.  It can symbolically mean a simple
and self contained life.

92) AUM gurave namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is our teacher. guru means one who dispels
ignorance. "gu" means darkness or ignorance and "ru" is one who
dispels it.

93) AUM bhUmaNDalAchAryAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is a world teacher. bhUmaNdalam means
Earth, it also indicates the Universe. He is guides them through his
teachings. This word is synonymous to jagadguru.

94) AUM bhagavatpAdasa.nj~nakAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is known as bhagavatpAda.

VERSE 20

vyAsasa.ndarshanaprItaH R^iShyashR^i"ngapureshvaraH |
saundaryalaharI mukhya bahustotra vidhAyakaH || 20||

95) AUM vyAsasa.ndarshanaprItAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who was pleased by the vision of sage shrI
vyAsa. bhagavan vedavyAsa came disguised as a old man and invited shrI
shankara for a debate on shrI shankara's brahma sUtra bhAshya. The
debate will go on for a long time. shrI padmapAda, one of the chief
disciples of shrI shankara, at that point realized that the old man is
none but shrI vyAsa (who is indeed mahAviShNu) and shankara is indeed
Lord shiva, and said the following famous verse:

shankaram shankarAchAryaM keshavaM bAdarAyanam.h |
sUtrabhAshya kR^itau vande bhagavantau punaH punaH ||

Pleased with shankara's bhAshya, sage vyAsa blessed him with
additional 16 years of life. One can read about this incident in
detail in madhaviya shankara digvijayam.

96) AUM R^iShyashR^i"ngapureshvarAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is the lord of R^iShyashR^ingapuri (now
known as shR^ingeri). shrI shankara established the first maTham at
Sringeri and nominated shrI sureshvarAcharya as its head. It is said
that shrI shankara also stayed at shR^ingeri for a very long period
(12 years).

97) AUM saundaryalaharI mukhya bahustotra vidhAyakAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who provided us with many stotram-s like
saundaryalaharI for worship. shrI shankara keeping in mind of many
sAdhaka-s who are not ready for study of vedAnta and Atmavichara,
composed many works promoting bhakti which will lead them to that
state.

VERSE 21

chatuShShaShTikalAbhij~no brahmarAkShasapoShakaH |
shrImanmaNDanamishrAkhyasvayaMbhUjayasannutaH || 21||

98) AUM chatuShShaShTikalAbhij~nAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is knows (and a master of) of all the 64
arts.

99) AUM brahmarAkShasapoShakAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who freed a brahmarAkShasa from the curse.

100) AUM shrImanmaNDanamishrAkhyasvayaMbhUjayasannutAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who was hailed as svayaMbhu (One who has
descended onto the earth out of his own volition, aavatAraM) by shrI
maNDana mishra and others

VERSE 22

toTakAchAryasampUjya padmapAdarchitA"nghrikaH |
hastAmalayogindra brahmaj~nAnapradAyakaH || 22||

101) AUM toTakAchAryasampUjya padmapAdarchitA"nghrikAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is worshipped by toTakAchArya and whose
feet were worshipped by padmapAdA.

102) AUM hastAmalayogindra brahmaj~nAnapradAyakAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who bestowed the brahma j~naanaM to
hastAmalaka.

VERSE 23

sureshvarAkhya sachChiShya sanyAsAshrama dAyakaH |
nR^isiMhabhaktassadratnagarbhaherambapUjakaH || 23||

103) AUM sureshvarAkhya sachChiShya sanyAsAshrama dAyakAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who has ordained sureshvara and others into the
sanyAsAshrama (monkhood).

104) AUM nR^isiMhabhaktAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is an ardent devotee of shrI
nR^isiMha. shrI shankara's lakShmI nR^isiMha karAvalaMbana stotram.h
is well known.

105) AUM sadratnagarbhaherambapUjakAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who worshipped ratna garbha heramba gaNapati.
There is a temple for ratna garbha heramba gaNapati in shR^ingeri.

VERSE 24

vyAkhyasiMhAsanAdhIsho jagatpUjyo jagadguruH |
iti shrImachCha.nkarAchAryasarvalokaguroH param.h || 24||

106) AUM vyAkhyasiMhAsanAdhIshAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is considered as the lord of vyAkhyAnam.h.
His commentaries for prasthAna traya are well known and considered the
best.

107) AUM jagatpUjyAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is worshipped by the jagat.h.  The term
jagat.h here indicates the beings of all the worlds.

108) AUM jagadgurave namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who is the teacher of the world.

nAmnAmaShTottarashataM bhuktimuktiphalapradaM |
trisandhyaM yaH paThedbhaktyA sarvAnkAmAnavApnuyAt.h ||

Chanting this aShTottarashatanAma stotram.h will bestow the devotee
with material comforts in this world and final liberation also.  One
who chants this thrice a day (during the sandhyA kAlam.h) with
devotion will realize all the desires.