Autobiography of a Yogi

Greg Goode goode at DPW.COM
Tue Sep 30 10:47:05 CDT 1997

At 11:12 AM 9/30/97 -0400, Prashant Sharma wrote:
Greg Goode wrote:

>> Can't answer about Babaji and Shankara, but I know AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A YOGI
>> has been scrupulously honed, polished and re-written for style and content
>> several times by an American editing staff.  This of course contributes to
>> its pleasing style.
>>
>> --Greg
>>

>        I happened to talk to a relative of "Lahiri Mahasaya" who was a
>Professor of Chemistry (until he retired some 20 years ago) at Banaras
>Hindu University.  He told me that even though the book doesn't say
>anything wrong (a very general comment) one should beware of taking it too
>literally as it has been written with the intent of making it sell.

I just ran across an example yesterday of an edit that removed someone's
name who Yogananda had dealt with, which resulted in a false statement,
according to one writer.  I can write up the details tomorrow if anyone
is interested.  I'd heard of other edits too that end up giving an
erroneous impression.  There are other teachers of kriya yoga who are
critical of Yogananda's approach, and count themselves as the true
followers of Lahiri Mahasaya.  I'd seen such critical material in
one of their books.

--Greg