Autobiography of a Yogi

Prashant Sharma psharma at BUPHY.BU.EDU
Tue Sep 30 10:12:34 CDT 1997

On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, Greg Goode wrote:

> At 09:01 AM 9/29/97 -0600, Nanda Kumar wrote:
> >I've been reading the autobiography of a yogi by Paramahansa
> >Yogananda for the past few weeks. The books is very endearing,
> >quite informative, but at times beyond me when he speaks of cosmic
> >concepts. When one reads the book there's no doubt that Paramahansa
> >reveres Adi Shankara, for he doesn't miss a chance to eulogise him,
> >calling him 'India's greatest philosopher', 'the peerless Monist' etc. But
> >yesteday I read a chapter, where Paramahansa talks of a supreme being
> >called 'Babaji', who is supposed to have initiated both Shankara and his
> >guru Govinda Jati in the Kriya Yoga techinque. Is there any historical
> >reference or proof to this claim?
> >
> >But again, the books is a pleasure to read, especially the footnotes
> >which are so full of information.
>
> Can't answer about Babaji and Shankara, but I know AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A YOGI
> has been scrupulously honed, polished and re-written for style and content
> several times by an American editing staff.  This of course contributes to
> its pleasing style.
>
> --Greg

        I happened to talk to a relative of "Lahiri Mahasaya" who was a
Professor of Chemistry (until he retired some 20 years ago) at Banaras
Hindu University.  He told me that even though the book doesn't say
anything wrong (a very general comment) one should beware of taking it too
literally as it has been written with the intent of making it sell.
Regards,
Prashant.