Ego Returning... (was Re: Ramana's technique)

Allan Curry acurry at UVIC.CA
Fri Oct 24 19:28:06 CDT 1997

Namaskar

Greg writes:

>"Who is indifferent?  There's no one here to prefer or to be indifferent.
>The body/mind might scream in pain when this arm is cut off (less when the
>neighbor's arm gets cut off).  As long as there is a body/mind in
>phenomenality, the body/mind will react.  But this pain isn't important,
>and doesn't have anything to do with my true nature."

    I agree that pain is not the issue but in my opinion
    fear proves that an ego still lives. It's my belief that
    an enlightened being (non-person, whatever) just is not
    capable of being afraid. They could mimic the outward
    symptoms of being afraid just for a joke but they are
    actually incapable of fear. Would you agree?

>Take the case of Ramana.  Was there the appearance of pain when his body
>was partly consumed by vermin?  Was it that there was no pain or feeling,
>or was it that there was no personal entity to identify or be localized
>with the pain?

    I have no doubt that Ramana Maharshi was enlightened and
    that there was no personal self there. I can't say as much
    however for most other so called gurus out there. How about
    list members?  Any of us incapable of being afraid? Any of
    us think we can be enlightened and still be afraid from
    time to time?

regards,

- Allan Curry