Ego Returning... (was Re: Ramana's technique)

Prashant Sharma psharma at BUPHY.BU.EDU
Sat Oct 25 11:29:36 CDT 1997

----------
> From: Allan Curry <acurry at UVIC.CA>
> To: ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU
> Subject: Re: Ego Returning... (was Re: Ramana's technique)
> Date: Friday, October 24, 1997 5:28 PM
>

>     I agree that pain is not the issue but in my opinion
>     fear proves that an ego still lives. It's my belief that
>     an enlightened being (non-person, whatever) just is not
>     capable of being afraid. They could mimic the outward
>     symptoms of being afraid just for a joke but they are
>     actually incapable of fear. Would you agree?
>
> >Take the case of Ramana.  Was there the appearance of pain when his body
> >was partly consumed by vermin?  Was it that there was no pain or
feeling,
> >or was it that there was no personal entity to identify or be localized
> >with the pain?
> >

>     I have no doubt that Ramana Maharshi was enlightened and
>     that there was no personal self there. I can't say as much
>     however for most other so called gurus out there. How about
>     list members?  Any of us incapable of being afraid? Any of
>     us think we can be enlightened and still be afraid from
>     time to time?
>
> regards,
>
> - Allan Curry

        Psychological fear requires an entity to which the fear belongs. For a
jnani there is no such entity.  There is just the body functioning
unhindered by thought. The body shall react to the surroundings but
spontaneously, without "fear" (which has an element of time in it). There
shall be pain, and all other "normal" behaviour, but no "planning" to
escape from it. I feel that for a jnani the senses act independently, they
dont connive to create the personal entity. But it is impossible to imagine
exactly how  the jnani would "work"l.  In the above analysis I have used
the "neti neti" approach.
Regards.
Prashant.