Ego Returning... (was Re: Ramana's technique)

Govind Rengarajan govind at ISC.TAMU.EDU
Thu Oct 23 23:06:31 CDT 1997

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Allan Curry wrote:

> I remember reading recently in the Bhagavad Gita that
> desire and aversion were also objects (the "field") and
> not really part of the subject (the knower of the field).
> If the ego and desire/aversion are both objects then
> they have no more to do with me than this computer
> screen and I would already be free of them, is that right?

I am not sure about the implications contained in the above
statement.

In anycase, regarding your computer screen, it is recognized clearly
as an object by the ego. However, the ego cannot obviously perceive
itself as an object. It is an object to the "subject" you mention,
and when you realize that you are the "subject", gItA tells us that
ego/desire/aversion etc will fall off like objects. There is
clearly a hierarchy here. So your "already be free of them" is not
right when one identifies oneself with the ego.

govind rengarajan