Corollas, US Dollars and Janaka!!!

Giri gmadras at ENGR.UCDAVIS.EDU
Tue Apr 29 15:44:21 CDT 1997

On Tue, 29 Apr 1997, VP Nandakumar wrote:

> It's my opinion that as long as one is duty bound or has responsiblities one
> cannot attain Brahman, as attatchments still remain. So how come Janaka, who
 is
> a king and is responsible for his subjects, claim to be a jnani? Since both
> status's are mutually exclusive, it's not possible. You can either be a king
 or
> a jnani, not both. The same would be the case with a house holder.

        Since you have already decided that one cannot be a king and a
jnani, what good would Janaka's words and advice do ?

> Can we see
> some reasoning on this, instead of quotes from Sankara?

        The reasoning is simple, if one is willing to listen. Detachment
and Attachment is a state of mind. Sanyas is also a state of mind, not of
the body. Not every one who wears an ochre robe is detached. Not everyone
who works is attached.

Namaste.