Corollas, US Dollars and Janaka!!!

VP Nandakumar nandav01 at M0E3S33.NMB.NORWEST.COM
Tue Apr 29 15:37:32 CDT 1997

It's true that people do come to US for better prospects. It's also true that
cars and US dollars do hold a fancy, if not forever, atleast for a period of
time. But if one's is spritually inclined and desires Brahman, he should be
willing to let go of all objects of affection or desire. What are Toyotas and US
Dollars when compared to one's family, from which one should detatch, to attain
Brahman?

It's my opinion that as long as one is duty bound or has responsiblities one
cannot attain Brahman, as attatchments still remain. So how come Janaka, who is
a king and is responsible for his subjects, claim to be a jnani? Since both
status's are mutually exclusive, it's not possible. You can either be a king or
a jnani, not both. The same would be the case with a house holder. Can we see
some reasoning on this, instead of quotes from Sankara?

Shanthi Om