[Advaita-l] apauruSheyatva of the Veda

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 23:02:41 EST 2024

Please read "Aupanyava" as "Aupamanyava" in the following paragraphs -
google autocorrected Aupamanyava to Aupanyava for some reason.

"They are called Rshis, because they have seen. As the the teacher Aupanyava
 Aupamanyava has said "They have seen the stoma, mantra-s, through their
austerities and became RSis through the grace of the Brahman. This is the
RSi-ness of the RSis.".

Here Yaska is quoting the views of AupanyavaAupamanyava, a teacher that
preceded even him in this regard. Aupanyava Aupamanyava is quoting from the
svAdhyAya brAhmaNa of the taittirIya AraNyaka (2.9.1) -  अजान् ह वै
पृष्नीन् स्तपस्यमानान् ब्रह्म स्वयम्भू  अभ्यानर्षत् तदृषयोऽभवन्
तदृषीणामृषित्वम् - They became RSis through austerities by the grace of the
self evident SvayambhU, Brahma. "