[Advaita-l] [advaitin] The constant thought of 'I am Vishnu' results in liberation, moksha - Skandapurana

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 19:17:35 EST 2024

Dear Sri Srinivasa Moorthy,
Are you aware of adhikAri bheda?

When you ask - "WHEN YOUR VERY  SVARUPAM IS VISHNU why contemplate as 'I am
Vishnu'? " - do you know that to be the case?

If you do know it as an intimate, direct fact about oneself, then such a
contemplation is simply reveling in that svarUpa, which is a source of joy.
It is jnAna niShThA.

If you do not know it, then such a contemplation is a means to know it as
fact, to free oneself from samsAra. It is jnAna sAdhanA for the purpose of
moksha, the parama puruShArtha.

And yes, I am aware that moksha is a siddha vastu and not an object to be
attained. That being said, it is undeniable that a vast majority of jIvas
consider themselves to be samsAri-s, kartA-s and bhoktA-s and do undergo a
tremendous amount of suffering. To them, a nitya siddha moksha is as good
as asiddha. For them, this jnAna is the highest goal to be attained.

In either case, there is a purpose behind the teaching and the comment
"Only a mad man will do that" is uncalled for.

Do you think Veda Vyasa, a maharishi and jnAni, and Mahavishnu, nitya
buddha mukta shuddha Ishvara Himself, are not intimately aware of this
knowledge themselves - why would they have given the teaching "*अहमेव सदा
विष्णुरित्यात्मनि विचारयन्" *if it is fit only for "only a mad man"?

Regards,
Venkatraghavan