[Advaita-l] Definition of Ashrayatva and Vishayatva

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 19:29:32 EST 2024

Namaste Sudhanshu ji,
Are you interested in Ashrayatva / viShayatva definitions in general or
definitions of ajnAna's Ashrayatva / viShayatva in particular?

Where something is located is its Ashraya - does there need to be anything
more to it? That being the case, where ignorance is located is its Ashraya.
I think we can define the object of ignorance (viShaya) as the locus of
non-cognisance arising due to ignorance of an otherwise cognisable entity.

Have you looked at the TIkA's to the sankshepa shAriraka in this regard? I
briefly referred to the tattvabodhini TIkA of nRsimhAshrama (
https://archive.org/details/434_Wthe-samkshepa-shariraka-with-tattva-bodhini-sarasvati-bhavana-granthmala-no.-69-_202012_/page/n9/mode/2up
).

The commentary to the sloka 20 on Page 34 defines anavabhAsa as नास्ति न
प्रकाशते इति स्वरूपविपरीतव्यवहारविषयत्वयोग्यत्वं, and that can be used for
ajnAnaviShayatva also.

The siddhAnta leSha sangraha also says something similar ‘नास्ति न
प्रकाशते’ इत्यादिव्यवहारयोग्यत्वमिति परम्परया अज्ञानविषयत्वाभ्युपगमात्.

A similar approach is taken in the advaita siddhi chapter on ajnAna
viShayopapattih in defining AvaraNakRtyam - नास्ति न प्रकाशत इति व्यवहार
एवाभिज्ञादिसाधारणः; अस्ति प्रकाशत इत्येतद्व्यवहाराभावो वा आवरणकृत्यम् । आवरणं
च तद्योग्यता अज्ञानसंबन्धरूपा सुषुप्त्यादिसाधारणी आब्रह्मज्ञानमवतिष्ठते ।

Kind regards,
Venkatraghavan

On Tue, Jan 23, 2024 at 4:39 PM Sudhanshu Shekhar via Advaita-l <