[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Understanding Srimad Bhagavad Gita from the perspectives of Visishtadvaita and Advaita - an exposition

Vikram Jagannathan vikkyjagan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 15:34:37 EST 2024

Namaskaram Shri Sudhanshu ji,

Apologies for the delay, but really appreciate your feedback and deeper
technical nuances. I agree with your comments, particularly some of those
that I believe are closely oriented to DSV. But the audience, including
myself, are fairly new to structured vedanta as a whole and hence the intro
article has been written just to cover enough basics, at a higher level
(akin classical physics versus quantum), prior to plunging into the
teachings of SBG. Few specific points that I would like to seek
clarifications are included below.

On Wed, Jan 24, 2024 at 10:11 AM Sudhanshu Shekhar <sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com>
wrote:

Similarly, one of the very nature of the non-Self, particularly the aspect
> called ahamkara, is its ability to misunderstand the qualities of the
> non-Self as the qualities of the pervasive Self
>

> *//It is the quality of not ahamkara per se, but of sAbhAsa-ahamkAra.//*

This is based on SBG-3.27. In your statement, am I correct in understanding
"ahamkara" to imply the inert material "I" aspect of antahkarana and
"sabhasa-ahamkara" as the Chaitanya conditioned by this ahamkara?

> A popular example for adhyasa includes the perception of a rope as a snake
> in a dim-lit room; wherein the qualities of the rope (size, shape, color,
> position etc.) are superimposed with the qualities of the mental image of
> a snake (sentience, poisonous, dangerous) and the resulting entity -
> snake with the appropriate size, shape, color, position etc. - appears to
> exist on the ground
>

> *//No. Out of ajnAna-of-chaitanya-delimited-by-rope, an unreal snake is
> produced. The adhyAsa is between this unreal snake and
> chaitanya-delimited-by-rope. The snake is Kalpita-vishesha, idam is AdhAra
> whereas chaitanya-delimited-by-rope is adhishThAna.//*

For the intended audience, this is a practical approximation. But agreeing
with the nuances. We have had a good recent discussion on the significance
of the snake being "Kalpita-vishesha" in this forum.

> Similarly, under the influence of ahamkara, perceiving the non-Self as the
> Self is adhyasa or Mithya jnana or false knowledge; and the recognition
> of the true nature of the Self as-it-is, without any superimposition of
> non-Self, is true discriminating knowledge or Satya jnana
>

> *//Here, it is to be noted that non-self is swarUpa adhyasta in self but
> self has samsarga-adhyAsa in non-self. ahmakAra is also swarUpa-adhyAsa.
> The cause of adhyAsa is avidyA and not ahamkara.//*

Agreed on the details. The influence of ahamkara is again from SBG-3.27.

> This adhyasa or false knowledge is also called as avidya or ignorance or
> delusion; and since this adhyasa is the very nature of material
> principle, vasanas / Karma are also technically called as avidya
>

> *//No. adhyAsa is kArya and avidyA is material cause of adhyAsa.//*

Although this has been a point of debate within Advaita, I believe this is
a good enough approximation for the intended audience. Going deeper
initially will confuse more.

> This avidya is an inherent nature of the antahkarana (inner instrument -
> mind, intellect, memories, ahamkara)
>

> *//No. avidyA is material cause of entire world.//*

Same as above.

> The resulting entity of the adhyasa of the Self and the individual
> antahkarana is said to be the individual Jiva
>

> *//More precisely, adhyAsa between ahamkara and
> ajnAna-adhyAsa-vishishTa-chaitanya.//*

Could you please clarify this point? Particularly
"ajnana-adhyasa-visishta-chaitanya"? What is a good reference text for this
term?

> The individual Jiva is said to possess the combined qualities of the Self
> and non-Self; the sentience principle or pure Consciousness or pure jnana
> being the very nature (svarupa), whereas the sense of limited
> individuality (‘I’) and changing agentship (knower, doer, enjoyer) as its
> attributes
>

> *//There is no swarUpa adhyAsa of chaitanya in ahamkara. There is only
> samsarga-adhyAsa.//*

I will need to reflect more on whether this is an important high-level
nuance. My point is that at a high level adhyasa is mutual. Furthermore,
even in the result of the adhyasa - namely the jiva - the nature (svarupa)
of jiva is said to be immutable whereas the attributes (viseshana) of the
jiva are said to be changing.

The agentship, as an attribute of the Jiva, brings about the sense of being
> the ‘knower’ or ‘experiencer’ (subject); the distinction of the antahkarana
> with other objects brings about the distinction of ‘known’ or ‘experienced’
> (object); and the individual BMI itself, through sense organs and mind,
> acts as the ‘means of experience’ or ‘means of knowledge’ (means); the
> result in the individualized distinct experience or knowledge of the
> object, and is also called objective experience or objective knowledge
>

> *//vyAvahArika Kartirtva belongs to antah-karaNa. The kartritva of
> ahamkara is prAtibhAsika.//*

Could you please clarify this as well? Ahamkara is an aspect of antahkarana
(alongside manas, buddhi and chitta). Then, what specifically in
antahkarana possess kartirtva in vyavaharika?

> Therefore, the very experience or knowledge of the individual subject, and
> the corresponding triputi, is only the result of adhyasa or avidya; but
> actually, all activities (no exceptions whatsoever) are performed by the
> BMI alone (under the influence ofKarma) and the Self is a mere constant
> witness; the ahamkara aspect of antahkarana superimposes this agency and
> makes it appear that the Jiva is the doer
>

> *//Doership is of antah-karaNa. Atman has prAtibhAsika kartirtva owing to
> tAdAtmya-adhyAsa between antah-karaNa and Atman. Due to samsarga adhyAsa of
> Atman with ahamkara, ahamkara gets prAtibhAsika kartritva.//*
>

> In other words, the Self conditioned by the limited individual antahkarana
> is the Jiva; the Jiva is said to be influenced by the individual vasanas
> / Karma / avidya
>

> *//In technical language, sAbhAsa-ahamkAra is jIva. A difference is made
> between antah-karaNa and ahamkara.//*

Could you please provide more details on this difference here? Per VP jiva
is antahkarana-avacchina-chaitanya.

> A similar discussion on the collective scale gives rise to Brahman
> conditioned by collective antahkarana as the Isvara; Isvara is said to
> possess or control the collective vasanas / Karma also called as prakruti
> or maya
>

> *//Yes. In SDV. Different description is for DSV.//*

IMHO SDV === classical physics; DSV === quantum physics. The general intent
for the current audience is SDV.

> While a Jiva is said to be under the influence of individualized avidya
> due to limited knowledge, Isvara, on the other hand, is said to control
> the collective maya because of unlimited omniscience
>

> *//Maya and avidyA are same. The difference is of Shuddha sattva and
> malina sattva.//*

Maya is said to be trigunatmika; particularly in its role as the material
cause of the world. However, Isvara as conditioned by Maya is
shuddha-sattva.

prostrations,
Vikram