[Advaita-l] ***UNCHECKED*** Question on Sankhya prakruti versus Advaita maya from Vedanta Paribhasha

Vikram Jagannathan vikkyjagan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 13:04:08 EST 2024

Namaskaram all,

I have a question regarding note#9 on page#41 in the English translation of
Vedanta Paribhasha (Advaita Ashrama edition - fourteenth reprint).

There is a sentence in the footnote where Swamiji says "If the Sankhyan
view of Prakrti is modified so as to make it sentient and dependant on God,
then Vedanta will have no objection to accepting it as a synonym of maya."

I understand the relationship of dependence, but I do not understand the
usage and context of the word 'sentient' with respect to prakruti or maya.
Is Prakruti or Maya in Advaita considered to be sentient? Could someone
please clarify this point?

Thank you!

prostrations,
Vikram