[Advaita-l] (no subject)

Kaushik Chevendra chevendrakaushik at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 23:56:54 EDT 2023

Namaste.

On Wed, 1 Nov 2023 at 9:17 AM, Vishesh Bhat <visheshlives at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for that helpful answer. I agree with most of what you say.
> However dusta shikshana and shista rakshana is a bit confusing. Even at the
> vyaharika level, if a good person is undergoing suffering, isnt it just his
> Prarabdha karma?

Yes. A disease is also something that is caused by prarabdha, now should we
remove doctors? Or should doctors stop trying to treat the patient? If a
dog is stuck on the road and a car is coming, will you leave it saying it’s
his prarabdha karma. Everyone needs to do their duties, and isvara also has
his duty of shista rakshana etc.

why does Brahman intervene as an avatara to establish a certai type of
> order, i.e. an order defined by Dharma?

Isvara avatara is not only for dharma. It’s also so that devotees of lord
can worship and listen to his leelas. This is the main reason isvara takes
a form.

I think a probable confusion here is how does Advaita interpret Dharma
> itself?

Dharma is what shastra defines as dharma. Not a favourable setup.