[Advaita-l] A conceptual analysis of deep sleep.

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 09:12:50 EDT 2023

Namaste Sudhanshu Ji.

Just a general observation, prima facie.

When such apparently contradictory statements are come across in the
Bhashya, it would only be appropriate to understand one version as correct
and reconcile the other contradictory statements with this. Whichever one
is understood as correct. It is not appropriate to understand the Bhashya
itself as being selfcontradictory.

Most of the commentators understand avidyA to be present is sushupti while
Sri SSS understands avidyA to be absent therein. Both of them reconcile ALL
the Bhashya statements to fall in line with their respective points of
view.

In my understanding, avidyA is present in sushupti. While the vikshepa
aspect is unmanifest, the AvaraNa aspect continues to be effective. I try
to understand ALL the Bhashya statements you have listed with this aspect
in mind, and I have no difficulty in reconciling the statements.

SAkshi is upahita Brahman and not Shuddha Brahman. Upahita Brahman is
always veiled. In all three states of waking,dream and deep sleep. It is
with this upahita Brahman that the jIva becomes ekIbhUtah in deep sleep.
That is how the jIva does not attain mOksha in deep sleep. This is my
understanding. With this understanding I try to reconcile ALL the relevant
Bhashya statements concerning sushupti.

Regards

On Tue, Oct 24, 2023 at 4:13 PM Sudhanshu Shekhar via Advaita-l <