[Advaita-l] ***UNCHECKED*** Extremely powerful reasoning for 'Aham Brahmasmi' in the Bh.Gita

Sudhanshu Shekhar sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 01:32:01 EDT 2023

Namaste,

//When we say Jiva is Kshetra, the question that would arise is: Is jiva
jaDa since the chapter defines kshetra as jaDa, which alone requires an
agent other than itself to reveal/illumine it.//

If jIva is defined as AbhAsa i.e. chit-AbhAsa, then it is mithyA. MithyA is
jneya. Anything jneya is kshetra. It will be Jada as well.

In HastAmalakIya bhAshya:
अत्रोच्यते — बोधो हि नाम चैतन्यमभिप्रेतम् ; न च ज्ञानं चैतन्यम् ,
जन्यज्ञानस्य ज्ञेयत्वेन घटादिवज्जडत्वात् । ज्ञेयं हि ज्ञानम् , घटज्ञानं मे
जातं पटज्ञानं मे जातमिति साक्षादनुभूयमानत्वात् ।

In Advaita Siddhi,

धर्मिभूतमुखादिनैरपेक्ष्येण तद्धर्मभूतरूपादिप्रतिबिम्बादर्शनात् ,
प्रतिबिम्बस्याव्याप्यवृत्तित्वनियमेन लौहित्यस्य स्फटिके
व्याप्यवृत्तिप्रतीत्ययोगाच्च । लौहित्ये स्फटिकस्य त्वारोपे तस्य
प्रतिबिम्बत्वम् , स्फटिके लौहित्यारोपे तु तस्य मिथ्यात्वमिति विवेकः ।
(Advaita Siddhi)

AbhAsa is always mithyA. Pratibimba is not mithyA.

So, in case of AbhAsa-vAda, jIva is AbhAsa. AbhAsa is mithyA. Kshetra is
mithyA. Hence, it will be bAdha-sAmanAdhikaraNya if we are to say "jIva is
Kshetrajna" or "jIva is Brahman" just as "kshetra is Brahman".

//As jivas we do not experience that we are jaDa, being revealed by an
external agent; on the other hand we experience that we are sentient and it
is we that reveal objects (including our body-mind complex, after we are
exposed to Vedanta).  //

The chit-AbhAsa in ahamkAra does reveal objects but is itself revealed by
sAkshI. That is to say, sAbhAsa-ahankAra is revealed by
avidyA-upahita-chaitanya which is sAkshI. The revealing by jIva is known as
vyavasAya whereas revealing of (jnAta, jneya and jnAna) all three together
is anuvyavasAya. So, jIva is also known/revealed by sAkshI.

We do feel that we are Chetan. But a little enquiry shows that what we take
to be ourselves is also a mere jneya.

Regards.