[Advaita-l] Free will, time and the Kali Yuga

Bandaru Viswanath tripuraari at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 15:14:51 EST 2023

On the topic of free-will and *prarabda-karma,*  I would like to provide
two references.

1. A conversation on this exact topic between HH Sri Chandrasekhara Bharati
swami and a disciple. Here is the link to the book having that
conversation.

https://www.vedanta.gr/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/ChandrashekBharati_Dialogues-with-The-Guru_RK-Iyer_ENA5.pdf

The topic starts at page 40. Summary is that free-will exists and can be
exercised by humans.  Just a small quote.

HH: It is not quite correct to say that fate places obstacles in the way of
> free-will. On the other hand, by seeming to oppose our efforts, it tells us
> what is the extent of free-will that is necessary now to bear fruit.

2. Brahmasutra Shankara Bhashya - 4.1.13 and 4.1.14

ब्रह्माधिगमे सति उत्तरपूर्वयोरघयोरश्लेषविनाशौ भवतः — उत्तरस्य अश्लेषः,
> पूर्वस्य विनाशः ।

Shankara establishes that it is not mandatory that the *karma-phala* must
be experienced. He cites the examples of *prayaschitta-karma* that are
ordained by Shastras to get rid of a bad-karma. Of Course he also quotes
shruti that for those who has the *sakshatkara*, all existing and
yet-to-be-experienced karma will be destroyed and no more karma will be
associated with them. All this is by exercise of free-will.

why does Brahman intervene as an avatara to establish a  certai type of
> order, i.e. an order defined by Dharma?

It is not the brahman who is taking the avatara. It is the Ishwara, who
belongs to the vyavaharika-jagat and controls it and has interest in
maintaining it.  Here is what Shankara has to say, as to why Krishna
avarata was taken. (from Bhagavadgita Shankara Bhashya).

स भगवान् सृष्ट्वेदं जगत् , तस्य च स्थितिं चिकीर्षुः, मरीच्यादीनग्रे सृष्ट्वा
>  प्रजापतीन् , प्रवृत्तिलक्षणं धर्मं ग्राहयामास वेदोक्तम् । ततोऽन्यांश्च
> सनकसनन्दनादीनुत्पाद्य, निवृत्तिलक्षणं धर्मं ज्ञानवैराग्यलक्षणं ग्राहयामास
>  द्विविधो हि वेदोक्तो धर्मः, प्रवृत्तिलक्षणो निवृत्तिलक्षणश्च, जगतः
> स्थितिकारणम् प्राणिनां साक्षादभ्युदयनिःश्रेयसहेतुर्यः स धर्मो
> ब्राह्मणाद्यैर्वर्णिभिराश्रमिभिश्च श्रेयोर्थिभिः अनुष्ठीयमानो दीर्घेण
> कालेन | अनुष्ठातॄणां कामोद्भवात् हीयमानविवेकविज्ञानहेतुकेन अधर्मेण
> अभिभूयमाने धर्मे, प्रवर्धमाने च अधर्मे, जगतः स्थितिं परिपिपालयिषुः स
> आदिकर्ता नारायणाख्यो विष्णुः भौमस्य ब्रह्मणो ब्राह्मणत्वस्य रक्षणार्थं
> देवक्यां वसुदेवादंशेन कृष्णः किल सम्बभूव । ब्राह्मणत्वस्य हि रक्षणे
> रक्षितः स्याद्वैदिको धर्मः, तदधीनत्वाद्वर्णाश्रमभेदानाम्

So when Ishwara sees that the dharma meant for maintenance of jagat
(sthiti) as determined by Veda, is not followed, in the interest of the
*sthiti*, Ishwara takes a form. All in vyavaharika jagat only.

Thanks
Viswanath

On Wed, Nov 8, 2023 at 4:42 AM Vishesh Bhat via Advaita-l <