[Advaita-l] Jagadguru Speaks: Shun Ego, Embrace Dharma

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 6 13:58:17 EST 2023

(Around the beginning of the month, a nugget of Wisdom from the Jagadguru may be posted
on the Chaturamnaya list : http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/cgi-bin/listinfo/chaturamnaya )

Man is blessed with welfare, wealth and prosperity at set periods
in life as a result of his meritorious acts during several lifetimes. If
he enjoyed these righteously, this dharmic act (itself) will serve
always to protect him. Subsequent lifetimes will also yield him
only good results. This is also what our forefathers have said:

ऐश्वर्यमध्रुवं प्राप्य ध्रुवधर्मे मतिं कुरु ।
क्षणादेव विनाशिन्यः सम्पदोऽप्यात्मना सह ।।

The import here is that temporal entities, such as the physical
body, wealth and status, are to be used only in line with dharma
which is eternal in nature. However, one must never allow the ego
to grow in him based on the wealth amassed. As the ego increases,
fame and wealth will decline and ultimately perish. Pride and
arrogance can destroy all and sundry.

Only those who possess wealth and status but have a wicked
bent of mind turn arrogant. However, a person with a noble
mind, even when blessed with wealth and the like, will remain
equanimous or composed (prashantam).

ऐश्वर्यमल्पमेत्य प्रायेण हि दुर्जनो भवति मानी ।
सुमहत्प्राप्यैश्वर्यं प्रशमं प्रतिपद्यते सुजनः ।।

We bless everyone to understand this well and live in conformity
with dharma and righteousness.

August 2017