[Advaita-l] Do 'Tamasa' Puranas enjoin practice of Adharma?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue May 9 03:46:26 EDT 2023

Dear Raghave ji,

I have not seen any explanation for these alleged verses.

 If even if leave out the sectarian angle we can give a thought the
following:

The Brahma Sutra begins with the declaration of the requirement of the four
fold qualifications viz Viveka, vairagya, etc. We find in the Tamasa
Puranas these aspects laid out clearly. Unless someone is able to
establish  the Tamasa Puranas do not teach these for taking up the enquiry
into Bramhan for liberation, the alleged statement of the Padma purana that
the Tamasa Puranas teach wrong knowledge and result in hell remains
invalid.

It is also to be noted that Brahma sutras do not state either Vishnu or
Shiva as the Parabrahman.

Also, interestingly, if it is said that the Tamasa puranas also contain
sattva portions, on the same lines, the Sattva puranas also, since it is
admitted that they contain tamasa portions, should be admitted to lead to
naraka.  But what those 'portions' are can never be determined to the
agreement of all.  It is like the question: Which interpretation of the
Prasthana traya is agreeable to all. In any case it is this classification
of Puranas that is crucial, the very life line for the very existence of
the Vaishnava sects.  Advaita alone is not in such a pitiable position as
to depend for its existence on this classification.

For, the classification is patently shruti viruddha. There are many Vedic
portions and Upanishads that are clearly depicting Shiva/Rudra as the Para
Brahman, JagatkAraNam, Mokshaprada.  Since the Purana classification
contradicts this, as taught by Anandagiri (while explaining
Sureshwaracharya's Vartika on Brihadaranyaka Antaryami Brahmanam Bhashya
saying 'that Antaryami is known by the names Hari, Brahma and Pinaki'),
since the Puranas (that seem to distinguish between the Trimurtis) are
subservient to Veda and wherever they differ/contradict the Veda they cease
to be pramana.

On this shaastraic logic it is quite alright for Advaitins to consider the
classification of puranas as a-prAmANika for Vedantins.  For sectarians,
that is theistic schools, these are prAmANika since this classification
alone sustains their siddhanta.

warm regards

subbu

On Tue, May 9, 2023 at 7:23 AM Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via Advaita-l <