[Advaita-l] Question on clarification on these terms

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Mar 31 23:34:24 EDT 2023

On Sat, 25 Mar 2023, Manas Bharadwaaj via Advaita-l wrote:

"traditionalist" I guess.

> 1. Maya

Maya is related to the English word magic.  In the Vedas it is often used
to describe the delusionary powers of the Devas.  Specifically in the
Advaitic context it is tThe superimposition of ignorance upon Brahman
which results in it appearing to have the powers (shakti) of avarana
(concealment - hiding truth) and vikshepa (misrepresenting falsehood as truth.)

> 2. Agnana/Ajnana

> 3. Avidya

I'll deal with these two together as they are used interchangebly.
Ignorance.  Ignorance can be of many kinds, if Manas is mistaken for
Jaldhar for instance but the paramount ajnana/avidya is the notion that
the conventional universe (samsara) has been created, exists and will be
destroyed.

One of the bones of contention between later interpreters of Advaita
Vedanta is if there is a mula (or primal) avidya and tula (situational)
avidya or if this distinction is unneccessary.

As I wrote, avidya and ajnana are synonyms but if we can make a small
distinction, I would translate ajnana as false cognition and avidya as
false knowledge.

> 4. Mithya

One thing mithya does not mean is "illusion" a mistake even some other
wise good translators make.  Advaita Vedantas epistemology is not idealist
in other words it's not "all in your head".  The universe is real but it
is misunderstood to be something other than what it really is.  So
mithyatva is cognitive falsehood.  This is the result of avidya/ajnana as
caused by maya.