[Advaita-l] Question on clarification on these terms

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Mar 31 01:36:54 EDT 2023

On Sat, 25 Mar 2023, Manas Bharadwaaj via Advaita-l wrote:

> I have a question on clarification on these terms from the traditional
> perspective and APK perspective. Those who are answering, please just let
> me know what position you belong to: Traditional Perspective, APK
> Perspective, Non-aliant/Learning both.

Manas I will try to answer your questions shortly and I acknowledge what
you wrote about extra discussions but I must object to the way you have
framed this.  It is not Swami Sacchidanendra versus "tradition" he is part
of tradition.  An innovate or some might say eccentric part of tradition
but I think of him in an entirely different category than the neo-vedantic
or new age types.  He was trained in the tradition and addresses many of
his works to his colleagues in that tradition.  In fact we know from his
writings that he got the most frustrated not when Pandits refuted his
opinions but when they ignored them.

There is nothing wrong with a focus on the prasthana trayi.  If his
followers find that to be the best way to know Brahman (which after all is
the purpose of all prakriyas) then fine.  But if they think it is superior
to or more "authentic" than other prakriyas I would beg to differ.